"Dry Tortugas" Top 5 Page for this destination Dry Tortugas National Park by Ericasmurf99
Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 289 photos
If you are going to be in Key West for a few days, I highly recommend a day trip out to the Dry Tortugas! Tortugas is spanish for turtles; when this land was first discovered by Ponce de Leon in 1513, he saw and caught hundreds of turtles, hence the name Tortugas.
You can come out to the island by boat or plane. If you take one of the boat tours, they will supply snorkle gear, breakfast and lunch for you. It takes almost 2 hours to get to Tortugas by boat.
After the War of 1812, a group of forts from Maine to Texas was envisioned to provide defense for the United States of America from foreign invaders. Fort Jefferson was built to protect the southern coastline of the United States and the lifeline of commerce to and from the Mississippi River. The fort was planned to be the greatest of the group.
During and after the Civil War the fort began to be used as a prison for deserters and other criminals, most notably Dr. Samuel Mudd, who was sentenced to life in prison for his part in President Lincoln's assassination. Dr. Mudd, perhaps unknowingly, repaired the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth - the man who assassinated Lincoln.
- Pros:Beautiful water that you won't find in Key West
- Cons:Bare bones place - come prepared
- In a nutshell:Good day trip from Key West
We chose to go with the Yankee Freedom company because they were $10 cheaper than the other company, the Fast Cat. The... more travel advice
A designated snorkle area is located near the campground. Make sure you stay in the designated area, so you don't get... more travel advice
Ericasmurf99's Related Pages
Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Dry Tortugas Page"
- "Ft. Jefferson on Garden Key"
- "Dry Tortugas"
- "Dry Tortugas National Park"
- "National Park"
- "Dry Tortugas"
- "Fort Jefferson Dry Tortugas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Hotels in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Transportation in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Nightlife in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Restaurants in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Dry Tortugas National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dry Tortugas National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dry Tortugas National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dry Tortugas National Park
Photos in Dry Tortugas National ParkSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 71 reviews, 206 photos, 6 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Liberty Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ruinas Kohunlích Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Florida Keys Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Nassau Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Roatán Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos