"Altun Ha" Altun Ha by Ericasmurf99
Altun Ha Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 63 photos
Seeing Mayan ruins is a dream come true for me. I have always been so facsinated with these historical wonders. So while on a cruise trip in the Caribbean, we booked a tour to Altun Ha at our stop in Belize. Fantastic day! Our tour guide, Ms. Jay, knew everything there is to know about Altun Ha and was very interesting to listen to.
Please enjoy my page, and if you ever get the chance to see something like this, do it!
The following is from my textbook: Meso America's Ancient Cities
Altun Ha construction was believed to have started in 200 B.C. and stopped around 800 A.D. It is also believed that the Mayans stopping living there around 1300 A.D. because there is no evidence of them there.
It is a mystery as to why they left Altun Ha. There is no evidence of a military invasion, famine, or pestilance. Perhaps a peasant revolt? Also, no carved stone monuments have been found, so there is no information abut the kings or the dates of their reigns.
Lots of jade artifacts have been found here, including the huge jade head of Kinich Ahau, the Mayan Sun God.
- Pros:Beautiful, full of history, mystery
- Cons:Hot - wear a hat/visor/sun glasses
More than three hundred jade objects were found in a tomb inside this temple. A good view of this temple can be seen... more travel advice
Written Apr 10, 2007
Written Jul 18, 2007
Terrace faces of the Temple of Masonry Altars
Ericasmurf99's Related Pages
Altun Ha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Altun Ha, an Ancient Mayan City of Belize"
- "Altun Ha"
- "Altun Ha - ruins of an ancient Maya"
- "Ancient Mayan Site"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Altun Ha
- 2 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Altun Ha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altun Ha
Photos in Altun HaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 71 reviews, 206 photos, 6 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- West Liberty Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ruinas Kohunlích Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Florida Keys Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Nassau Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Roatán Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos