"My Travels" Ericasmurf99's Profile

Update - Feb 2013 - I have started a new VT page for my family. I will never delete this one though, as it chronicles many great adventures as a single & married without kids traveler. Now I have two daughters and I am super excited to instill a love of traveling in them. I'm sure I'll still take some trips with just my good friends or just my husband and I, but overall I am focused on family travel. Big goal - get both girls to all 50 states before their 18th birthday! :)
New page name - GlassFamily

Hello, Hola, Hallo, Guten Tag, Bonjour, Shalom, Dia dhuit, Ciao,

I lived most of my life in Eastern Kentucky, USA. Due to work I have also had the pleasure of living in Spangdahlem, Germany (2002-2004), Keflavik, Iceland (2004-2006), Key West, Florida, USA (2006-2009), and now Anchorage, Alaska, USA (2009-present). Each location has their own unique adventure to offer.

I need to say that I mostly have a VT page as a way to compile my travel memories and so that my friends and family can also see my travels. I don't mean to sound rude, but I am just not interesting in meeting up with people I do not know. No offense! I also love having a page in order to share tips and advice with people. However, I will no longer be replying to emails that are from non-members. I have have replied back to COUNTLESS emails writing an in depth answer to their travel question, only to have that person never log back into VT to read the email.

Check back in to my page, as I am always adding something new. Again, thanks for stopping by and enjoy all the tips, ideas, and photos.

~ Erica

What Kind of Travel Interests You?

Well what interests me is anything shrouded in a mystery. Like Stonehenge; who built it, how, and why? Did the statue of Mary really stop a thief at Saint James' in Prague? Is that really the thief's arm that hangs from the church ceiling?

I also love what most would consider "weird and creepy". I don't find them that way though, I find these things "spiritual and fasinating". Such as the Catacombs in Paris and the Odurassy in Kutna Hora.

I also love Nature. My favorite nature adventure has been exploring the glaciers and volcanoes in Iceland. What a beautiful country. I also just recently visiting the big Sequoia tree in California, which was one of my top 5 must see things. Breath-taking!

We are also so in love with cruising. You can find a cruise vacation almost anywhere! I love that each morning you wake up you are in a new location. And cruising is for everybody...from families with young babies to a couple in their late 90s (or higher, I'm not discriminating). You really do, in my opinion, get the best 'bang for your buck' with a cruise vacation. For any help I need with planning a cruise, I recommend CruiseCritic.com. I've written reviews for my cruises at that website and also below in the personal album section.

I wouldn't call myself "cheap" but....

...ever notice on the billboards at admission windows it always only says "General admission, Senior and Child admission, and Student admission"? Well regardless I always ask if a military discount is available, and there ALWAYS is. There has been times when I got a few bucks off, and then there are times the military discount gets me in completely free! Not just discounts on admissions to parks or museums either; but on cruises, train fare, air fare, restaurants, hotels, shopping, etc. You just have to ask. And it's not just military, some other un-advertised discounts include AAA members, teachers, firefighters, and police. Like I said, you just gotta ask.

My Top 5 Dream Destinations...

1. Explore all of the United States
-- Statue of Liberty & a Broadway show in New York
-- Those HUGE Red Woods in California (DONE! July 2012)
-- Arches in Utah
-- Volcano watching in Hawaii
2. New Zealand
3. Walk along the Great Wall of China
4. All Greek Islands
5. South Africa

Perfect Travel Poem

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say
The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

~ JRR Tolkien ~

• Intro Updated Feb 18, 2013

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Happy birthday! Greetings from Germany.

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Wishing you a very happy birthday.

• Sagespot's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2011 at 5:42 AM

I hope you have a safe and healthy New Year. Happy Travels! Cheers - Sage

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Happy belated Birthday and a Happy New Year......

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Hi, I see you have moved once more. We were in Florida for 2 weeks, came back NY"s weekend just before it got cold there.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I can't wait to come to Florida in October for the Orlando VT Meet - I'm looking forward to seeing Florida and the Keys - first time to that part of USA! Gillybob greetings

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM

OK Erica, you shamed me. I have FINALLY finished up (and updated a bit) my Seward, Alaska page. Enjoy.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Thanks for the comment on my home page. I hope the identify thieves don't take my face, feet and shoes. Look forward to looking at some of your pages.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and all the best.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Ericasmurf99

“A Whole New World ~ A Dazzling Place I Never Knew”

Location