"Hello and welcome!" rosata's Profile

Sicily

A little bit about me - since retirement I live a sort of split life in two European countries and enjoy living and travelling in a budget fashion.
We live for part of the year, usually spring and autumn, on the east coast of Sicily, close to the city of Siracusa.
Twice a year we drive from England to Sicily and twice a year from Sicily to England.
The Sicilian plan is to experience a Mediterranean lifestyle whilst visiting as many destinations as possible on this largest island in the Mediterranean and the places within easy reach.
I enjoy finding out everything there is to know about a place and revisiting until I am totally immersed.

The photograph of Mount Etna was taken 18.4.2014 with a 'Libeccio' sunset.

Morecambe Bay, North West of England

In summer and winter we live near the coast of Lancashire in the north west of England.
On our doorstep are Morecambe Bay, the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales where we enjoy days out and hiking in both familiar and new territory.

The photograph of Morecambe Bay was taken on Christmas Day, 2013.

2014

We travel by GNV ferry from Palermo to Genova. On the winter trip we drive along the Italian Rivera and the French Riviera to just before Marseille and then inland via Avignon, Lyon, Troyes, Reims, through the entire length of France to Calais. Either ferry over the English Channel or Eurotunnel under the English Channel followed by an if we are lucky (due to traffic) six hour drive to the north of England. Door to door the mileage is exactly 1400 miles and the journey takes us a minimum of three days and is usually more as we decide to spend extra time in Italy and/or France.

On the summer trip we sail on the same GNV ferry from Palermo to Genova. We drive through the upper reaches of the Po valley to Aosta and the Alps, through the Mont Blanc tunnel and the entire length of France to Calais. Then over or under the English Channel and drive up to the north of England. Door to door the mileage is exactly 1250 miles and the journey takes a minimum of three days with extra days for stopovers in Italy and/or France.

Europe

To date I have stayed inside Europe, unintentional and no bad thing, haven't really scratched the surface of visits to European countries.

Travel pages abound for almost all of the places I have visited in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy, France, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium. My Travel Map here on VT only includes the countries I have visited recently.

These travel pages of mine reflect my take on a destination, not always guide book literature nor information readily available on the internet.

I am at my happiest and love the feeling of being lost (lost as in it helps to put any niggling troubles into perspective) in that happiness in art in all its forms and expressions especially the outdoors, enjoying nature and scenery, mountain tops, sea shores, mountain lakes and wide open spaces.

Outdoor archaeological sites are one of my passions and to see, touch and it makes me happy (sometimes if feasible) to walk on old, polished stones, whilst soaking up the atmosphere imagining life as it was. Especially, I adore the silence associated with so many of the ancient settlements I frequent. I am one of those people who can't walk along a beach without collecting water smoothed pebbles to hold in my hands. I also like to view interesting museum exhibits (have to be in the mood); art exhibitions and magnificent architecture.

I enjoy wandering around villages, towns and cities at my own pace, avoiding crowded situations if at all possible although this is not always the case.

My restaurant, cafe, bar and hotel reviews are from personal experience at the time. A couple of reviews are based on recommendations from trusted friends. My food reviews are all positive. Anywhere I have felt uncomfortable, ripped off or been served substandard fayre are not reviewed except for the occasional tip to swerve due to local knowledge.

Future travel ideas in no particular order

Long distance walks - in UK, France, Spain
Nepal - to trek and a view of the highest peaks
India
Maghreb - Morocco, Tunisia, Western Sahara
Australia - lots of relatives to catch up with!
New Zealand
USA
South East Asia
Canada
Turquoise sea and white sand on a budget - open to suggestions???

Interests

Books - just about every genre but generally more non fiction / travel / art

Music - eclectic taste includes Memphis/Chicago blues, classical, opera, Baroque and favourite tracks by about 100 bands and singers from the sixties onwards

Gardening - drought resistant planting is a huge learning curve

Cooking & eating - seasonal gluts of vegetables and fruits from the market and the seafood

Walking on deserted beaches and coastal paths, ridge walking, fair weather cycling, sea swimming, sea fishing, practising yoga, aerobic exercise DVDs (needs must!), learning Italian

VT people I have met

into-thin-air
planxty
alyf1961 Benson35 DAO davesut dila Gillybob jonathanbarker leics MacedonianUK ricky52 Roam spidermiss suvanki toonsarah
Balam EasyMalc Evenith666 fatehpur Kaspian mickeyboy07 Myfanwe Razmataac yumyum
mustertal
angiebabe celia.q Parisforless Trekki
Add-S DavidGB KShezz oriettaIT painterdave

• Intro Updated Apr 18, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
rosata's Profile Photo

rosata

“A wise man travels to discover himself”

Real Name