"Cold War Hotspot" Geisa by weed6886
Geisa Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos
It's now called "The Green Strip," a well-preserved section of forest in the northern part of the Rhoen between Hessen and Thueringen. Seeing the quiet, well preserved forest, frequented by day hikers, it's hard to believe only a few years ago, the "Green Strip" was known as the "Death Strip."
After the re-unification of Germany, the inter-german border was quickly dismantled, the physical traces being harder to find every day. Point Alpha, on the West German side, remains as a memorial to the American soldiers who stood constant guard, waiting for the invasion form the East Bloc that never came. From the watchtower, you get a panoramic view of the Rhoen and the town of Geisa, just a couple a miles east of the former border. Directly across from the tower, is the East German tower. In between is the steel fence, to prevent anyone from fleeing to the West.
It's now possible to walk through the fence without getiing shot at or stepping on a mine. Now that the border is open, it's an amazingly short walk from the US tower to the East German one. With the close close proximity of the towers, and US Soviet relations being on a hair trigger, it's a miracle that a border incident didn't ignite WWIII. From the towers, it's just a short walk to the "House on the Border," which is documents the life of the guards on the eastern side of the border.
- Pros:Both East and West represented at memorial
- Cons:Point Alpha needs an M1 Abrams!
weed6886's Related Pages
Geisa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Geisa
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Geisa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geisa
Photos in GeisaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Rhön Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Neustadt an der Saale Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bad Kissingen Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Mellrichstadt Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Behrungen Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mödlareuth Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Klosterkreuzberg Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Fladungen Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Geisa Intro, 1 review, 8 photos