"Kloster Vessra" Kloster Veßra by weed6886
Kloster Veßra Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Kloster Vessra was a monastery that was consecrated in 1138. In 1939 a fire destroyed the main area of the cathedral, and the monastery was abandoned. Now the monastery grounds are home to an open-air museum documenting life in Thueringen from the middle ages until today.
The centerpiece of the museum are definately the remains of the the church. Originally built in 1201, a fire in 1939 destroyed the interior and the roof. The west tower and the east wall are all that remained standing. The ruins are open, and safe to walk through. According to signs, there are plans to re-roof the cathedral.
Around the rest of the museum are several buildings including farmers houses, bakeries, and even a brewery. These were taken from villages in the area and rebuilt exactly the same on the museum grounds. Most of the houses are open, giving a good impression of daily living conditions in the area. It's easy to spend several hours wandering through the various displays here. There's even a cafe on the grounds, in case you need a break.
- Pros:Interesting dispalys of local culture
- Cons:There are plans to re-roof the cathedral!
- In a nutshell:A must-see for anyone interested in local life!!
weed6886's Related Pages
Kloster Veßra Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kloster Veßra
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Kloster Veßra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kloster Veßra
Top 10 Pages
- Rhön Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Neustadt an der Saale Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bad Kissingen Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Mellrichstadt Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Behrungen Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mödlareuth Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Klosterkreuzberg Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Fladungen Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Geisa Intro, 1 review, 8 photos