"Am I In The Right Place?" weed6886's Profile

Stories from a Californian in Bavarian exile

How the hell did I get here? I always seem to be someplace other than where I expected to be. Where do I begin? Well, I'm from California. I joined the Army, and had a job where no women were allowed by law(I personally disagree with this). When I left the Army, I stayed with my wife in Germany. Now, I am a house husband, staying home to raise my two children, ages 5 and 3, and living in a small, rather conservative village in norther Bavaria. And at the end of the day, I'm always amazed at how hard "women's work" can be.

Travelling around the neighborhood

So, I read all these pages on VT, people who hike around the world, people who every year travel to exotic destinations. I actually don't travel very much. Most of my travels are all within an hour's drive of my house. Growing up in California, my favorite pastime was exploring the old ghost towns from the gold rush. No ghost towns like that in Germany, but central Germany has it's own ghosts. Ruins of castles dot the countryside, and more recently, the Cold War and the partition of Germany left its ghosts scattered across the middle of a now unified Germany.

Big Plans for the future!

Well, since I'm trying to fit in here, I guess I should share my humble travel plans for the future.

Große Inselberg, Thüringer Forest: driving time 1hr, 20min

Grenzmuseum Schifflersgrund/Hessen: driving time 2hrs, 35min

Castle ruins on Hutsberg moutain/Rhön: driving time 20min, hike to top 2 hrs

Milseburg mountain/Rhön: driving time 40 min, hike to top ?

June 2007: Croatia; Slavonski Brod/Zupanja, BIH; Tuzla/Kalesija/Memici area

Dreaming of the near future: Serbia; Vojvodina/Belgrade/Mali Zvornik area

Bulgaria; Belogradochik/Melnik/Neesebar

One traveller's home is another's destination

That's how I look at it anyway. Being a tourist in my own neighborhood is quite interesting. So, I may not get the chance to backpack across India, or some other exotic trip, but exploring the area I live in keeps me busy enough anyway. And I can do it while the kids are in kindergarten! I figure that by writing as much as I know about the area I live in on VT, it may help make somebody's trip easier in the future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the areas on my pages.

• Intro Updated Sep 14, 2007

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Happy birthday Chris! Have a great day! greetings from Sofia

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Hi Chris, so I missed your Birthday! Just returned home today from Europe. I hope you had a wonderful days with lots of presents & a birthday cake!~ All the best, Sylvia

• Childish's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Hi Chris, happy birthday ! have a very special one ! Lilia

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Happy Birthday Chris!! My bests wishes for this new year. Greetings from Barcelona, Elisa

• Aug 20, 2007 at 3:09 AM

CHRIS, have a happy bithday!!!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! Grüsse aus Italien, Michele

• Aug 19, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Hi Chris! Happy birthday!! Hope you have a great day! Very best wishes from Sussex, Maria :)

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Happy Birthday Chris! Wishing you a wonderful day! Enjoy! Cheers !!!

• Aafia's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Greetings from Cape Breton. Enjoyed your Rhon pages and tips. Great info. Cheers

• Beograd's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Orthodox Christmas is yet to come Chris. We celebrate it by the old Julian calender. Happy New Year and Merry Christmas

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
weed6886's Profile Photo

weed6886

“How the hell did I get here?!?”

Real Name