"Am I In The Right Place?" weed6886's Profile
How the hell did I get here? I always seem to be someplace other than where I expected to be. Where do I begin? Well, I'm from California. I joined the Army, and had a job where no women were allowed by law(I personally disagree with this). When I left the Army, I stayed with my wife in Germany. Now, I am a house husband, staying home to raise my two children, ages 5 and 3, and living in a small, rather conservative village in norther Bavaria. And at the end of the day, I'm always amazed at how hard "women's work" can be.
So, I read all these pages on VT, people who hike around the world, people who every year travel to exotic destinations. I actually don't travel very much. Most of my travels are all within an hour's drive of my house. Growing up in California, my favorite pastime was exploring the old ghost towns from the gold rush. No ghost towns like that in Germany, but central Germany has it's own ghosts. Ruins of castles dot the countryside, and more recently, the Cold War and the partition of Germany left its ghosts scattered across the middle of a now unified Germany.
Well, since I'm trying to fit in here, I guess I should share my humble travel plans for the future.
Große Inselberg, Thüringer Forest: driving time 1hr, 20min
Grenzmuseum Schifflersgrund/Hessen: driving time 2hrs, 35min
Castle ruins on Hutsberg moutain/Rhön: driving time 20min, hike to top 2 hrs
Milseburg mountain/Rhön: driving time 40 min, hike to top ?
June 2007: Croatia; Slavonski Brod/Zupanja, BIH; Tuzla/Kalesija/Memici area
Dreaming of the near future: Serbia; Vojvodina/Belgrade/Mali Zvornik area
That's how I look at it anyway. Being a tourist in my own neighborhood is quite interesting. So, I may not get the chance to backpack across India, or some other exotic trip, but exploring the area I live in keeps me busy enough anyway. And I can do it while the kids are in kindergarten! I figure that by writing as much as I know about the area I live in on VT, it may help make somebody's trip easier in the future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the areas on my pages.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 82 Reviews
- 281 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 18 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- weed6886 and Beograd are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Slavonski Brod Forum "Re: Road Trip!"
updated their Profile Page "Am I In The Right Place?"
- Commented on starship's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Am I In The Right Place?"
- updated a Rhön Travelogue "Ghosts of the Rhön"
- Wrote a Review Alternative to the monastery's restaurant in Rhön Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Rhön Intro, 22 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bad Neustadt an der Saale Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bad Kissingen Intro, 10 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Thüringen Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Mellrichstadt Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Behrungen Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mödlareuth Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Klosterkreuzberg Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Fladungen Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Geisa Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos