"Who I am" Earthtourist's Profile

What I do

I am one of those 1970's back-to-the-land "hippie homesteaders" who moved from the city to the countryside. We wanted to get more in tune with nature, more self-sufficient for our food and shelter and energy...and go where the dollar was not the measure of all things. We tried to learn the traditional ways of living in the country and updated those ways with new found ways that we shared around.

Now, after more than thirty years, over half my life, I am still happy to pull buckets of fresh drinking water from my well. I still depend upon the sun for electricity, still bake bread on a wood-fired stove, and still garden and gather firewood according to season. I have learned to cherish the antics and even the aromas of all kinds of farm animals. And I am amused each morning when awakened by the cheering call of a wren.

I am glad for the city, too. I regularly utilize its libraries, its music venues, its universities, its variety of food stores, its frequent cultural events. But I am always glad to get back home to the natural peacefulness of country life.

I love to explore. Travel is exploration. I travel to all kinds of natural areas and explore them by foot, canoe, kayak or bicycle. I travel to other countries to explore their natural areas and their respective cultures. I wish I could speak many languages.

Update: I am now living in Maui, on an off-grid homestead, milking goats, gathering eggs from our hens, gardening in a very new type of setting and having a whole new adventure. I can watch the sea from my room, paddle on it, snorkel in it, catch fish from it, or just watch the waves roll in and smash against rugged lava rocks and cliffs. The water is crystal clear. There are festivals in the area which include authentic Hawaiian food, music and dance, one of the last places in Hawaii where many native folks still call home. I'm still learning new fruits and vegetables and exciting new foods. The whales return in winter and can be seen just off shore all around the island. I am in awe.

• Intro Updated Nov 8, 2007

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Earthtourist's Profile Photo

Earthtourist

“Never enough time”

Real Name
David Whitney
Location
Nahiku, Hawaii (State of)
Member Since