"Syria through the eyes of an American" Top 5 Page for this destination Syria by midnight_mike
Syria Travel Guide: 3,976 reviews and 10,293 photos
Traveling in Syria is as hassle-free as possible. There are no “danger zones” in the major cities and crimes occur at an extremely low rate. If there is a problem, police officers are posted at just about every major intersection. The only places that should be avoided are the border areas near Iraq and Israel.
Prior travel to Israel is strictly forbidden and border officials will inspect every stamp in a traveler’s passport to confirm this. (Anyone with an Israeli stamp will have to get a new passport before applying for a Syrian visa.) Relations between Syria and Israel have been tense since the Jewish state was formed in 1948. The fact that Israel has occupied Syria’s portion of the Golan Heights since 1967’s Six Day War only deepens the animosity.
To fully appreciate Syria’s rich history, eight to 10 days are recommended. Here are some of the most popular destinations:
• Palmyra: the ruins of this 2,000-year-old desert city are a testament to what was once a highly advanced civilization
• Damascus: the streets of Syria’s capital only hint at its history
• Aleppo: the capital of Islamic culture is a shopper’s paradise
• Krak Des Chevaliers: a leftover from the Crusades, this is one of the finest castles in the world
- Pros:Lots of history, few tourists, low prices
- Cons:Language barrier, flights into Syria are expensive
- In a nutshell:Don't judge Syria by its reputation
Whether you are visiting the covered markets in Aleppo or Damascus, you will generally find the same things for sale.... more travel advice
Aleppo, in the north, was once a major stop along the trade route between Europe and Asia. It offers the best hotel and... more travel advice
- See All Great food in the center of Latakia
- See All Gifts of friendship
- See All Getting around Syria
- A happening place to drink in Damascus
midnight_mike's Related Pages
Syria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the first Civilizations"
- "Welcome to Syria"
- "26 December 2002 - 6 January 2003"
- "Syria through the eyes of an American"
- "Off The Beaten Path"
- "Syria, History and Culture."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Syria
- Hotels in Syria
- Transportation in Syria
- Nightlife in Syria
- Restaurants in Syria
- Shopping in Syria
- Warnings and Dangers in Syria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Syria
- 40 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Syria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syria
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 35 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syria Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos
- Romania Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Turkey Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 20 reviews, 9 photos
- Damascus Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos