"Nine days in India" India by midnight_mike

India Travel Guide: 28,496 reviews and 78,625 photos

And I thought I saw everything...

Having traveled to the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Latin America, I thought I had seen it all. With most trips, I try to stay on a tight budget. In India, I spend more to feel comfortable in what I had read was a rugged destination. But even while staying at Hiltons four of the eight nights I was there, I still felt like I was roughing it!

The northern part of India--that's the only part I visited--is crowded and absolutely polluted. The exhaust from the rickshaws is overwhelming the poverty is heartbreaking. That being said, India is a country that rewards a traveler's patience.

Delhi was great for shopping, but not much else. Jaipur was overhyped, while the area just outside the city near Amber Fort was very enjoyable. The Taj Mahal and nearby Red Fort were amazing, while Agra was a pathetic excuse for a city.

I don't think someone can visit the places I was at and leave the country unchanged. I really think you have to be an experienced traveler to enjoy India. I was only there nine days, but it was very draining.

Does anything run on time?

Whether it be a train or a plane, nothing in India seemed to be on time! Air India is the worst airline I have ever flown. And my first and only train ride in India arrived two hours later than it should have.

• Last visit to India: Jan 2008
  • Intro Written Jan 26, 2008

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Agreed Agra is a pathetic city!But if every city in the world was like Chicago or Sydney, we would not be travelling would we?After some of asia's chaotic Cities, Sydney were I live is a bit dull!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 7:27 AM

please let me know when your india pages are done... the start is very promising

midnight_mike