"Real Madrid" Madrid by midnight_mike
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,405 reviews and 11,052 photos
For being a metropolis, Madrid is a surprisingly easy city to navigate. This is due, in part, to its extensive subway system. In my opinion, it is faster and more efficient than its rivals in London, Paris and New York. Another reason Madrid is easy to manage is its design.
After the kingdoms of Spain united in the 15th century, there was a need for a new city to be built for this powerful empire. Plus, there was all that gold from Mexico and the rest of Latin America to pay for it.
Madrid's location in the center of Spain was no accident. People in cities such as Barcelona and Valencia gravitated toward regional loyalties. This is true even today, with the Basque areas of the northwest being the most obvious example. Madrid was suppose to be a symbol of impartiality.
For those interested in Spanish culture, Madrid offers one of the best opportunities to see Spaniards being themselves. There is a large amount of tourism there, but it is easily absorbed by the vastness of the city. I mention this because a lot of Europeans capitals have become internationalised, losing long-held ethnic identities.
It would be hard to convince any visitor to Spain just to stay in Madrid. It seems like a great place for urban dwellers to live, but your "things to see" list will dwindle away after two or three days there. If you do have to change planes or trains in Madrid, you should spend at least a night or two there before traveling onward to Barcelona, Seville or Granada.
midnight_mike's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 35 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syria Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Turkey Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 20 reviews, 9 photos
- Damascus Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos