"Thank God for airline miles..." midnight_mike's Profile
Welcome to my VT homepage. It has been a few years since I have changed anything on this page, so some of my tips may be outdated. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to add tips or contribute to the forum like I used to, but I still love traveling and still find this site very valuable.
1. Dubrovnik, Croatia--Dalmacija at its best: sun, sand, clear blue water
2. Barcelona, Spain--muy bueno!
3. Buenos Aires, Argentina--a city with a soul
4. Chicago, USA--the Windy City (my home town)
5. Prague, Czech Republic--cold winters, no beaches, but hey I love this place
6. Brasov, Romania--my second home
7. Rio De Janeiro, Brasil--what a surreal place
8. Paris, France--awful in the summer, great every other time
9. Istanbul, Turkey--so much history in just one city
10. Sarajevo, Bosnia--I don't know why I love this place, but I do
11. Miami, USA--if only there weren't hurricanes
12. Seville, Spain--great nightlife, great food, great culture
13. New York City, USA--capital of the world
14. Ao Nang, Thailand--awesome beach town; very relaxing
15. Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada)--a city in the mountains
Never been there but wish I could
1. South Africa: Cape Town, Krueger National Park
2. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Outback (not the steakhouse)
7. Russia: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Trans-Siberian Railway
8. Napoli, Palermo
9. Jordan (Bethany, Petra, Wadi Rum, Aqaba, Kerak)
10. Belize, Tikal of Guatemala
13. Machu Pichu in Peru
1. Yugoslavija Post-Mortem: Dubrovnik, Split, Sarajevo, Mostar, Skopje, Belgrade
2. Ireland: been to Dublin, wish I could visit Northern Ireland
3. Spain--Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Granada, Cadiz, Tarifa
4. Buenos Aires, Rio De Janeiro
5. Morocco---a true adventure
6. Syria--is it really so dangerous?
7. Thailand--wow, wow, wow!
1. Foz Do Iguacu, Brasil--the waterfall is amazing, but the city on the Brasilian side is an awful, awful place
2. London, England--expensive, bad food, too many American tourists
3. Las Vegas, USA--the ultimate tourist trap.
4. Orlando, USA--yuk, yuk, yuk. How can you go to a city in Florida that is not on the ocean?
5. Brussells, Belgium--I had a suitcase stolen here and it is expensive
1. Running the original marathon in Athens, my second in three weeks
2. Driving through the mountains in Alaska
3. Seeing Africa from the Rock of Gibraltar
4. Taking trains across Europe
5. Listening to tango music in Buenos Aires
6. Riding an elephant through a jungle in Thailand
1. Steak in Buenos Aires
2. Kebabs in Istanbul
3. Sangria in Rio De Janeiro
4. Homemade Romanian wine
5. Empanadas in Buenos Aires
6. Calamari in Spain
7. Sarmale from Romania
8. Plantains in Puerto Rico
9. Ham and cheese on baguette in Paris
10. Cured ham and cheese on baguette in Spain
11. Blood oranges from Sicily
12. Fish and Chips from England and/or Gibraltar
If anyone has travel questions about the places I have been, feel free to e-mail me...
USA Mexico Canada Puerto Rico Argentina Brasil
England Ireland Belgium Netherlands Germany
France Spain Monaco Italy Czech Republic
Slovakia Poland Austria Switzerland
Slovenia Serbia Greece Bosnia Croatia
Hungary Macedonia Bulgaria Romania
Turkey Morocco Syria Egypt Israel Thailand
India Japan China Costa Rica Bolivia
Most of these artists I discovered while traveling. They are not played on the radio in the United States, although they are famous in their own countries. If you hear their songs I think I you will be as impressed as I was when I first heard them.
In-grid: Italy (pop/dance, sings in French, English)
Animal X: Romania (pop/electronic/dance, sings in Romanian, English)
Tatu: Russia (pop/electronic/rock, sings in Russian, English)
Coralie Clement: France (pop/rock, sings in French)
Paulina Rubio: Mexico (pop, sings in Spanish, English)
Mala Rodriguez: Spain (rap/pop, sings in Spanish)
Nancy Ajram: Lebanon (pop, sings in Arabic)
Ellisa: Lebanon (pop, sings in Arabic)
Nadia Ali: USA (pop/electronic/dance, sings in English)
Gulsen: Turkey (pop/dance, sings in Turkish)
Gotan Project: Argentina (tango/remix, sings in Spanish)
Gulben Ergen: Turkey (pop/traditional, sings in Turkish)
Maysam Nahas: Egypt (pop, sings in Arabic)
Cheb Mami: Algeria (world, sings in Arabic, French)
Haifa: Lebanon (pop, sings in Arabic)
My favorite travel book
"On the Road" by Jack Kerouac: The travel novel of travel novels. If you haven't read it, you won't understand.
My favorite "travel" movies (movies with travel scenes)
1. Bourne Identity: Great spy thriller starring Matt Damon shot on location throughout Europe. This movie inspired me to take my first trip to Europe.
2. Before Sunrise: A romantic story of an American guy meeting a French woman on a train going from Budapest to Vienna. I blame this movie for my affair with long train rides.
3. Legends of the Fall: Brad Pitt plays a rugged cowboy with a restless heart. He is raised on a ranch, but his mind is constantly wandering. The part of the movie where he leaves his home to travel the world really struck a nerve in me.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 299 Reviews
- 375 Photos
- 19 Countries
- 26 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- midnight_mike and call_me_rhia are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Two-month car rental"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Thank God for airline miles..."
updated their Profile Page "Thank God for airline miles..."
- created a India Travel Page "Nine days in India"
- Commented on call_me_rhia's profile page
- Wrote a Review Buses and trams in Istanbul Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 35 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syria Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Egypt Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Turkey Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 20 reviews, 9 photos
- Damascus Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22461 Reviews - 54973 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23317 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Prampram Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos