"COMO - Central jewel in the crown of Lago di Como" Top 5 Page for this destination Como by icunme
Como Travel Guide: 322 reviews and 852 photos
The cathedral ws completed in the 18th century with the dome of Filippo Juvarra and is rich in paintings and scultures. The facade is dated 1455.
Style - transitional Gothic
Interior - late Gothic
Presbitery and dome date back to Baroque era
The church is 87 meters long - aisles are 36 wide - 58 meters wide if you include the chapels.
Dome - 75 meters high
Central Spire of facade - 45 meters
Note the arches to the left of the Duomo. It appears that the level of the square was lower prior to construction of the cathedral. The ancient Pretorio is made of tri-color Lombard marble. It first served as a theatre and later as the notary archives - after restoration it became a conference and art exhibition center. Local ceremonies are held here as well.
One can reach the bell tower through the Broletto.
COMO welcomed Christmas with an enchanting display by the Lake at Piazza Cavour - come one - come all!!
Here in Como, nature is in harmony with man's intervention. The city is a healthy mix of the old and the new. The variety of landscapes with surrounding mountains, the lake, old villages in the hills, traditional cultures, modern shops, regional cusine - all blend to give an unparralled experience - create their very unique magic and unforgettable vistas.
Como was built by the Romans and was central to communications northward through the Alps and southward toward Rome.
Como preserves monuments from every era of its history. Pre-Roman Como exhibits are in the Civic Museum; ruins of the City Gate and walls remain. The churches of Sant'Abbondio, San Fedele, San Carpoforo and San Giacomo are Romanesque. The Duomo (cathedral) is Gothic-Renaissance. Baroque decorations can be seen on some churches and palazzos of the Center. Most of the villas facing the lake date from the Neo-classical era. Then, buildings indicative of 20th century architecture include masterpieces of Giuseppe Terragni - Novocomum, Asilo Sant'Elia.
Today Como is the most notable center of silk manufacturing and supplies the great Italian designers - Prada, Gucci, Versace (Gianni is entombed facing the Lake), Armani, and the other great Italian names in fashion.
Check our General Tips for historical information about Como.
And this was just at the outdoor market!
Stop and tour Villa Olmo - a must-see along the Como waterfront promenade. Most often there is an art exhibit being... more travel advice
Swimming and Tennis are offered here at Villa Olmo - many people miss these as the signs are all the way around the... more travel advice
icunme's Related Pages
Como Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "C O M O"
- "COMO - Central jewel in the crown of Lago di Como"
- "Como, by the lake"
- "My birthplace"
- "Como - beautiful town, but troubled club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Como
- Hotels in Como
- Transportation in Como
- Nightlife in Como
- Restaurants in Como
- Shopping in Como
- Warnings and Dangers in Como
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Como
- 41 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Como?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Como
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 242 reviews, 665 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 59 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Como Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverly Hills Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostia Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos