"Costa Smeralda - Europe's playground" Costa Smeralda by icunme
Costa Smeralda Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 54 photos
Sardegna takes first place - Team Germany second & Monaco third
Position - Team - Points
1 - SARDEGNA - 66
2 - GERMANY - 81
3 - MONACO - 88
4 - ITALY - 89
5 - SPAIN - 91
6 - USA - 120
7 - ALPE ADRIA - 156
June 10, 2006 (Porto Cervo, Italy) - The Sardinia Rolex Cup 2006/ISAF Offshore Team World Championship, hosted by the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda, ended with an abandoned race due to the extremely light breeze that did not allow the Swan 45 class to complete the course within the time limit of 120 minutes. At 3pm, cut off time for the start of re-sail of Race Nine, the Race Committee called it a day and the home team, Sardegna, claimed victory.
Despite fielding virtually the same team as 2004 - including crews that boast Olympic, America's Cup and Volvo Ocean Race talent - defending champion Team Spain ended the championship in fifth place.
The next Sardinia Rolex Cup will be staged in 2008, probably with the same format and team composition as this year.
In September the waters off Porto Cervo and the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda will host two highlight events of the Mediterranean season: the Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup, which dates back to 1980 and each year attracts an impressive fleet of these majestic yachts, and the Rolex Swan Cup, biennial event that transforms Porto Cervo in the centre of the Nautor's Swan world with upwards of 100 Swans racing.
One can choose among the many beautiful beaches and small islands with their crystal-clear water.
Costa Smeralda is made up of thousands of indentations and rocky promontories, a great variety of beaches and is breathtakingly beautiful. You will be dazzled by the clear waters, where the shades of blue, aqua and turquoise blend with the white sand of the beaches - with the red and pink granites - the green of the Mediterranean brush, dotted with blossoms that bloom throughout the year.
This area boasts the highest concentration of marinas in the world. The universally renowned Porto Cervo, hosting the Costa Smeralda Yacht Club is where you will see the grand yachts of the world. The destination of the international jet set, Porto Cervo is also the most famous society centre of Sardinia -- and expensive just to prove it!
Porto Cervo is surely one of the best equipped and modern Mediterranean ports where you will see a nautical centre reserved for the mythical 12 metre sailing boats of the Americas Cup.
From the sea one can watch the golfers playing on Pevero golf course and sailing along the coast one can admire the luxurious villas of political leaders, businessmen, artists, and cinema and TV personalities.
Recognize the lobby from 007?? Surely the most glamorous Hotel in Costa Smeralda - great round lobby bar - generous... more travel advice
We stay at one of the properties owned by a friend but check with local real estate agents for condo rentals - a good... more travel advice
icunme's Related Pages
Costa Smeralda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Costa Smeralda - Europe's playground"
- "Summer 2001 : East Sardinia"
- "emerald coast- costa smeralda"
- "Granit Coast"
- "The beautiful island"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Costa Smeralda
- 11 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Costa Smeralda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Costa Smeralda
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Beach outing"
- Wrote a Review the most glamorous Hotel in Costa... in Costa Smeralda Hotels
- updated a Costa Smeralda Travel Page "Costa Smeralda - Europe's playground"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Costa Smeralda - Europe's playground"
- Commented on one of randychiara's Costa Smeralda travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 242 reviews, 665 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 59 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Como Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverly Hills Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostia Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos