"Rome's Beach - many entrances" Ostia by icunme
Ostia Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 33 photos
Many popular beaches in Italy are privatized, which means that beach "clubs" get money from the city to take care of their part of the beach while we pay to use the facilities. You pay an entrance fee and, then, of course, loungers and umbrellas are extra.
That said - it is a great excursion - especially if you consider that OSTIA ANTICA is right close by also - it is huge and you pass by part of it on the way to the beach. You could conceivably enjoy both in one day. I personally prefer going to Antica on cooler fall days and the beaches in summer.
Problem is - there is one main road and everyone goes - the traffic takes a good slice out of your day. We made the mistake of driving during peak hours the first time - far better, although not so comfortable, to tote everything by train. Solution - go VERY early in the morning - return late orstay overnight and spend the weekend there at the beach. You will still have unbearable traffic returning to Rome at any reasonble evening hour.
There are free public beaches further down from what you see in the center. Parking is not so difficult down at these beaches.
If you come by train from Rome, through the Porta San Paola Metro which has spiffy new trains - when you exit the terminal the "MARE" busses will take you by all 8 gates of the public beaches where there are no entrance fees.
Romans have squared off here at the beaches - private beaches where you pay for everything - free public beaches - there are dedicated family beaches - then you have the gay beach - the nudie beach - the beach where teenagers congregate - the beach for people whose doggies like to swim - and a beach where you find a little of all the above! Best to know where you are going soooo - no surprises!
Gate 7 on the free public beach is a lovely family beach with a nice cafe for indoor or outdoor lunch.
The waters are not noted for their cleanliness - maybe part of the reason I like the pristine lakes so much!
Ostia was the original Port of Rome and this site can be view from within Ostia Antica.
Astrology signs surround the fountain in the small seaside piazza
If you go to one of the 8 free public beaches, best to know your preference as there are 8 different public gates. Families gather at the public beaches.
Gate 8 - topless women are not unusual, dogs were enjoying a dip - nude men were asked to wear bathing suits when someone complained.
Gate 7 is a great family beach with good, spacious cafe for indoor or outdoor lunch. I saw no nudity here!
- Pros:Outstanding day trip from Rome!
- Cons:Traffic if you are driving - take the boat or train!
- In a nutshell:A must-see!
You are on the Tyrannian sea here - not especially clean but most people enjoy the water. It is very salty and,... more travel advice
There is a fairly steady stream of vendors selling their wares along the beaches. more travel advice
icunme's Related Pages
Ostia Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ostia
- 14 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Ostia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 242 reviews, 665 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 59 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Como Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverly Hills Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostia Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos