"Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by icunme

Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 254 photos

Ostia Antica - "move-in" condition

Although not nearly as expansive as Pompeii, Ostia Antica is a destination in its own right. Once the Port of Rome, the ruins have been maintained and organized to give you the most descriptive venture back in time. We saw one "casa" we loved and so intact, we were ready to move in! You will easily distinguish the "bakery" from the "fast food" concession - the townhouse residences from the public baths. You will note that one of the public toilette facilities from Ostia Antica is actually pictured and described in the Pompeii literature (will post the photo when I find it).

View the travelogues and you will not be disappointed.

Also pages on OSTIA as it is a separate destination and you will see Rome's beach life - verrry interesting!

Ostia Antica is also a thriving little town

We were here one time when there was a very lovely festival in the town Piazza - some of the warmest, friendliest people I have encountered in Italy. Walk out of the piazza a little way and across the street to the entrance of Ostia Antica ruins.

You are right by Rome's beach

The beach of Rome on the Tyrrhenian Sea - take the train or a boat ride gets you there. After browsing the ruins - take a look at beach life in OSTIA. Romans have squared off here at the beaches - private beaches where you pay for everything - free public beaches - there are dedicated family beaches - then you have the gay beach - the nudie beach - the beach where teenagers congregate - the beach for people whose doggies like to swim - and a beach where you find a little of all the above!

The waters are not noted for their cleanliness - maybe part of the reason I like the pristine lakes so much!

• Pros:On a scale of 1 to 10 - an 11......
  • Cons:Beach traffic in summer from Roma
  • In a nutshell:Italy just doesn't get better than this - sea beside ruins!
  • Last visit to Ostia Antica: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

If we can only get back to Rome area, this is the one primo place for us to see. I read and saw on TV so much about its splendid history. Thanks for the viewing.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Lovely Ostia Antica travel page with stunning photographs. Ostia Antica certainly has lots of wonderful and interesting tourist attractions especially the fortress, the ruins, the museum and the theatre. Thanks for the virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Hmmmm. I missed out on the Museum when I was there...Tours are like that to stay on sceduel.Next time I will see it on my own.Barry in Louisiana...

• azz8206's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Very nice pics of Ostia. I also like to amble around the ruins then finding a nicy shady spot to enjoy an orange.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I am all a twitter. I love old things. It sets my mind on fire. Great tips sbout things to look for. Thanks, Randy

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Ostia Antica looks like quite an interesting place! I like old ruins too, especially by the sea. Great tip on the boat Transportation - that would be my choice too!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM

townhouse w/ windows..indeed! Interesting combo .. the beach and the ruins.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Hello Carol - thanks for visiting Swaziland - I hope to visit there again soon, - you live in a beautiful country.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM

This is how I remember Ostia - a very nice historic location and not crowded with tourists. A great daytrip from Rome !

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Thank you for visiting my Carlisle, PA page. Have a great end of Summer.

icunme Visits Here Frequently!

icunme

“I'm not aging - I'm just busy living happily ever after..............”

Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica

Have you been to Ostia Antica?

Latest Activity in Ostia Antica