"Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by icunme
Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 254 photos
Although not nearly as expansive as Pompeii, Ostia Antica is a destination in its own right. Once the Port of Rome, the ruins have been maintained and organized to give you the most descriptive venture back in time. We saw one "casa" we loved and so intact, we were ready to move in! You will easily distinguish the "bakery" from the "fast food" concession - the townhouse residences from the public baths. You will note that one of the public toilette facilities from Ostia Antica is actually pictured and described in the Pompeii literature (will post the photo when I find it).
View the travelogues and you will not be disappointed.
Also pages on OSTIA as it is a separate destination and you will see Rome's beach life - verrry interesting!
We were here one time when there was a very lovely festival in the town Piazza - some of the warmest, friendliest people I have encountered in Italy. Walk out of the piazza a little way and across the street to the entrance of Ostia Antica ruins.
The beach of Rome on the Tyrrhenian Sea - take the train or a boat ride gets you there. After browsing the ruins - take a look at beach life in OSTIA. Romans have squared off here at the beaches - private beaches where you pay for everything - free public beaches - there are dedicated family beaches - then you have the gay beach - the nudie beach - the beach where teenagers congregate - the beach for people whose doggies like to swim - and a beach where you find a little of all the above!
The waters are not noted for their cleanliness - maybe part of the reason I like the pristine lakes so much!
- Pros:On a scale of 1 to 10 - an 11......
- Cons:Beach traffic in summer from Roma
- In a nutshell:Italy just doesn't get better than this - sea beside ruins!
There are swift new trains that take you from the Metro station at San Paolo (Piramide) directly to Ostia Antica - if... more travel advice
Here among the ancient runins of Ostia Antica you will see this well-preserved mosiac floor. We wonder what is keeping... more travel advice
icunme's Related Pages
Ostia Antica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- "Better than Pompeii?"
- "HALF DAY ON OSTIA ANTICA"
- "Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination"
- "Visit Ostia if you possibly can!"
- "Antic Rome's port"
- "Ostia Antica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostia Antica
- Hotels in Ostia Antica
- Transportation in Ostia Antica
- Restaurants in Ostia Antica
- Shopping in Ostia Antica
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostia Antica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica
- 14 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Ostia Antica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia Antica
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Beach outing"
- updated a Ostia Antica Travel Page "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- Commented on one of MM212's Ostia Antica travel pages
- Wrote a Review Swift Metro from Rome to Ostia in Ostia Antica Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Swift Metro from Rome to Ostia"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 242 reviews, 665 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 59 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Como Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverly Hills Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostia Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos