"Magical Medieval Village at France Swiss Border" Top 5 Page for this destination Yvoire by icunme

Yvoire Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 152 photos

The Swiss Call It the Swiss Riviera

This village won the International Trophy for Landscape and Horticulture in 2002.
Yes, indeed, the walk down to Lake Le Man is almost as good as the arrival there!
Place de la Mairie
F-74140 Yvoire

Phone +33 04 50 72 80 21
17 miles from the Swiss/France border.

The medieval village of Yvoire is located on the French side of Lac Léman - Lake Geneva. Yvoire is positioned at the end of the Presqu'île de Léman - Leman peninsula, that divides Lake Geneva into the Petit Lac - small lake and the Grand Lac – big lake. Its vantage point on Leman peninsula means you can almost get a 360° of the Lake Geneva.

This position today offers great views of the lake but centuries years ago it offered control over much of Lake Geneva and power over one of the gateways to the Alps. Starting in the early 14th century Yvoire was fortified. These fortifications lasted for a few hundreds years until the 16th century when Yvoire fell under the influence of Bern, an ally of France and Geneva. At this time there was relative peace and no need for Yvoire to maintain its military architecture. What you see today of the ramparts and walls of Yvoire are only a sample of what once was.
For a long period, Yvoire sank back into anonymity and the proud strongpoint became a village of farmers and fishermen.
Important evidence of the past has been miraculously preserved : the castle, ramparts and fortified gateways, ditches and houses.

Cars are not permitted in the village proper

• Pros:Short beautiful drive from Geneve
  • Cons:none
  • Last visit to Yvoire: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I can see form the colorful pictures how they can win an award for the beauty surrounding this picturesque area

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Hi Carol... Yvoire in Rhone-Alpes? I thought it was an error under VT, as I'm leaving in this region... So, definitively, thanks for teaching me with these great tips and pages :)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Glad you liked the pic. This area surrounding the lake seems idealic. Thanks for the tour.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 5:07 AM

What a beautiful place! Pity I did not know about it, because I was on holiday in that region this summer. Next time I will make a trip to Yvoire.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Such a lovely little gem, so many nice places in this world that we never get to visit cause we always running to the main events ;-)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 2:20 PM

The good thing with VT (and you Carol), is that I never stop learning!!I crossed swiss-French border several times, but it is trhe fiirst time I hear (read) about this village. Merci Carol, I know what I will do next time I go to Geneva!

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Enjoyed reading your tips on Yvoire. Can't help but admire the beauty of the place. And I can't deny it, I have a lot to visit in France.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Yvoire sounds like an interesting town. Thanks for the info - we had never heard of Yvoire before we read your pages.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 5:29 PM

Missed Yvoire on our travels - think I'd have been tempted to linger even longer over the lunch!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 3:00 AM

I visited this lovely village a long time ago. Thanks for sharing.

icunme Visits Here Frequently!

icunme

“I'm not aging - I'm just busy living happily ever after..............”

Badges & Stats in Yvoire