"Magical Medieval Village at France Swiss Border" Top 5 Page for this destination Yvoire by icunme
Yvoire Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 152 photos
This village won the International Trophy for Landscape and Horticulture in 2002.
Yes, indeed, the walk down to Lake Le Man is almost as good as the arrival there!
Place de la Mairie
Phone +33 04 50 72 80 21
17 miles from the Swiss/France border.
The medieval village of Yvoire is located on the French side of Lac Léman - Lake Geneva. Yvoire is positioned at the end of the Presqu'île de Léman - Leman peninsula, that divides Lake Geneva into the Petit Lac - small lake and the Grand Lac – big lake. Its vantage point on Leman peninsula means you can almost get a 360° of the Lake Geneva.
This position today offers great views of the lake but centuries years ago it offered control over much of Lake Geneva and power over one of the gateways to the Alps. Starting in the early 14th century Yvoire was fortified. These fortifications lasted for a few hundreds years until the 16th century when Yvoire fell under the influence of Bern, an ally of France and Geneva. At this time there was relative peace and no need for Yvoire to maintain its military architecture. What you see today of the ramparts and walls of Yvoire are only a sample of what once was.
For a long period, Yvoire sank back into anonymity and the proud strongpoint became a village of farmers and fishermen.
Important evidence of the past has been miraculously preserved : the castle, ramparts and fortified gateways, ditches and houses.
- Pros:Short beautiful drive from Geneve
On the French side of Lake LeMan - the most desireable accommodation in Yvoire. Everyrooms have: bathroom toilet air... more travel advice
The "Swiss Riviera" - at least, that's what the Swiss say. Park your car in the large parking complex and walk through... more travel advice
icunme's Related Pages
Yvoire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yvoire in bloom..."
- "Yvoire – a colorful medieval village"
- "Medieval gem"
- "A flowering medieval town"
- "Magical Medieval Village at France Swiss Border"
- "A charming village on Lake Geneva"
- "Medieval Times"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yvoire
- Hotels in Yvoire
- Transportation in Yvoire
- Restaurants in Yvoire
- Warnings and Dangers in Yvoire
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Yvoire
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Yvoire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yvoire
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Beach outing"
- updated a Yvoire Travel Page "Magical Medieval Village at France Swiss Border"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Magical Medieval Village at France Swiss Border"
- Commented on one of Dabs's Yvoire travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hotel Rue du Port on the Lake LeMan in Yvoire Hotels
Photos in YvoireSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 242 reviews, 665 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 59 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Como Intro, 41 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 33 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Assisi Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverly Hills Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ostia Intro, 14 reviews, 29 photos
Latest Yvoire hotel reviews
- Hotel Restaurant du Port
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013