"The Tur Abdin Region" Mardin Ili by MM212
Mardin Ili Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 418 photos
With its numerous villages crowned by ancient churches and monasteries, the Tur Abdin region is considered by Suriani (Syriac Orthodox) Christians the holiest area after Jerusalem. It is a remote plateau in northern Mesopotamia, with a picturesque, semi-arid landscape of undulating agricultural terrain. Its name means "Mountains of the Servants (of God)", both in Arabic and the Syriac language, in reference to the monasticism which had characterised religious activity here since the earliest days of Christianity, and which has left us with a handful of the world's oldest monasteries and churches. Historically, geographically, culturally, and ethnically, the Tur Abdin had been inseparable from Greater Syria and Mesopotamia, but as the Ottoman Empire collapsed during WWI, the region found itself in modern Turkey, just north of the new border drawn by France and Britain. Turbulent events and contentious politics in the past century have altered the demographics (along with the names of most of the villages) of the region, greatly disadvantaging the native Suriani population, who have since struggled to maintain their ancient traditions and culture.
The fascinating Tur Abdin region lies in southeastern Turkey, just north of the Syrian border. It is most easily accessed from Diyarbakir, Mardin, or Midyat (the unofficial capital of the Tur Abdin region).
15-day Turkey itinerary in Dec 2012/Jan 2013:
Istanbul; Elazığ - Diyarbakir - Midyat - Hasankeyf - Tur Abdin Region^ - Mardin - Kızıltepe - Viranşehir - Urfa - Antep - Kilis; Istanbul
^Tour of the Tur Abdin includes:
- Gönüllü (Derdile)
- Gökçepınar (Ese)
- İzbırak (Zaz)
- Anıtlı (Hah)
- Altıntaş (Kfarze)
- Narlı (Ahlah)
- Bağlarbaşı (Arnas)
- Barıştepe (Salah)
- Mor Gabriel Monastery
- Ömerli (Ma'asarte)
- Eskikale (Qala'et Mara)
- Deyrulzafaran Monastery
The Suriani Church, which is known in English as the Syriac Orthodox Church, is one of the oldest in Christianity, and... more travel advice
Considered the capital of the Tur Abdin region, Midyat is an ancient town where church bell towers still dominate the... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Mardin Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Mardin"
- "The Tur Abdin Region"
- "Mardin - Historical, with religious tolerance"
- "Adourable Stone Carvings of Mardin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mardin Ili
- Hotels in Mardin Ili
- Transportation in Mardin Ili
- Restaurants in Mardin Ili
- Shopping in Mardin Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Mardin Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mardin Ili
- 47 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Mardin Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mardin Ili
Photos in Mardin IliSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues