"Syria - سوريا" Syria by MM212
Syria Travel Guide: 3,975 reviews and 10,297 photos
Syria, one of the cradles of civilisation, where ancient empires and caravan routes intersected, is one of the most fascinating countries in the Mediterranean and the Middle East. Conquered by countless empires and peoples, Syria is layered with history. Each passing empire or people has left a strong imprint on the country's architecture, culture and population. Syrian hospitality - unmatched in this world - its ancient ruins, varied landscape, delicious cuisine and refined culture make a trip to Syria unforgettable.
The world of politics and media loved to hate Syria (as naturally perpetuated by the country's inclusion into Bush's Axis of Evil version 2.0), but those of us who have visited it know a beautiful Syria the world rarely sees. After much reading and contemplating, and finding adventurous friends who were willing to join, I finally made it to Syria in December 2006, and returned for a second visit in March 2008. Then, while visiting Lebanon in Dec 2009/Jan 2010, I spent two days in Damascus, and made it back again for a day in Dec 2010 to visit the Hauran region, this time from Jordan. And so I have been converted into a Syro-phile, among numerous here on VT and beyond. After four visits, I still cannot wait to return once more to this beautiful and welcoming country.
Unfortunately, the situation since the peaceful uprising against the tyrannical government began in March 2011 has deteriorated significantly. I wish Syria and its people the best and hope their revolution succeeds in creating an even more wonderful united country. I am very hopeful.
Syria itinerary in Dec 2006:
Damascus - Maaloula - Krak des Chevaliers - Homs - Palmyra/Tadmur - Hama - Apamea - Aleppo - Serjilla - Damascus
Syria & Lebanon itinerary in Mar 2008:
Damascus - Hama - Apamea - Aleppo - Saint Simeon - Mushabbak Church - Hama - Homs - Damascus - Beqaa Valley & Beirut
Lebanon & Syria itinerary in Dec 2009/Jan 2010:
Beirut - Liban Nord - Tripoli - Byblos - Beqaa Valley - Aanjar - Damascus - Baalbek - Mont Liban - Tyre - Sidon
Jordan/Syria/Hijaz itinerary in Dec 2010/Jan 2011:
Jordan => day trip to southern Syria (Bosra - Suweida - Qanawat - Shahba) => back to Jordan, then to the Hijaz region of Arabia
A sleepy provincial town at the southern limits of the Hauran region, Bosra was a glorious city in its ancient past. It... more travel advice
Believed to be founded by the Nabateans between the 4th and 3rd centuries BC, Biblical Canatha, now known as Qanawat,... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Syria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the first Civilizations"
- "Welcome to Syria"
- "26 December 2002 - 6 January 2003"
- "Syria through the eyes of an American"
- "Syria, History and Culture."
- "Off The Beaten Path"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Syria
- Hotels in Syria
- Transportation in Syria
- Nightlife in Syria
- Restaurants in Syria
- Shopping in Syria
- Warnings and Dangers in Syria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Syria
- 442 Reviews
- 1,620 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Syria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues