"Mammoth Lakes Ski Resort" Mammoth Lakes by MM212
Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 499 photos
With Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Nevada on one side, and Owens Valley and the Nevada Desert on the other, Mammoth Mountain is certainly not short of breathtaking views. It is one of a handful major ski resorts in southern California, and is one of the largest in the whole of the USA. Its southerly latitude affords it 300 sunny (and warm) days, yet the Sierra Nevada Mountains it is on are the first line of defence against the powerful Pacific winter storms, which typically dump several feet of snow at a time on the mountain chain.
Unfortunately, the first time I skied in Mammoth (14 - 16 Jan 2012), the resort and the whole of the western USA were going through one of the worst snow droughts in memory. Not a single flake had fallen since the first storm in mid-to-late November! Luckily, the resort was equipped with enough snow cannons to keep a minimum amount of slopes open to visitors (though with a terrible quality of snow). To everyone's relief, a double storm passed through around the 20th January and brought much needed snow - 142cm of it over a period of 4 days. I returned the week after to a much better skiing experience! Still though, I would not place Mammoth among my favourite ski resorts.
Because of its geographic location, Mammoth Mountain receives skiers mostly from Los Angeles and San Diego (the mountain pass is closed in winter, which makes it impossible for people from San Francisco to drive). However, recently, the Mammoth Lakes Airport (MMH) opened to commercial traffic, and now direct flights connect it with Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Orange County. This has opened the resort even to international visitors, which will hopefully improve the resorts facilities and restaurants (which thus far seem very provincial!).
Mammoth is graced by fantastic views: on one side is the impressive Sierra Nevada mountain chain, and the other is Owns... more travel advice
Located on Minaret Road in the Village, Sushi Rei offers good sushi and other Japanese dishes. more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Skiing in California"
- "Good skiing but Unreal hiking and climbing"
- "A Great Place in Winter and Summer"
- "Secret of the Sierras"
- "Nature has Favorites"
- "Mammoth Mountain - My home away from home! :)"
- "MAMMOTH - Southern California's Playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mammoth Lakes
- Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
- Transportation in Mammoth Lakes
- Nightlife in Mammoth Lakes
- Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
- Shopping in Mammoth Lakes
- Warnings and Dangers in Mammoth Lakes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mammoth Lakes
- 12 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Mammoth Lakes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mammoth Lakes
Photos in Mammoth LakesSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues