"Bahrain - The Two Seas" Top 5 Page for this destination Bahrain by MM212
Bahrain Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 1,995 photos
Of all the Gulf city-states I visited (Bahrain, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha), not counting Oman and Muscat, I found Bahrain to be the most authentic with a relatively thriving local culture, a contributing native population, and a sense of long history.
The country is an archipelago of islands just off the Arabian coast with a majority shiite population. Before the discovery of oil, Bahrainis were traditionally farmers and pearl fishers. Farming depended on the natural springs that are found on the island and under the water of the Persian Gulf. The name "Bahrain" means "Two Seas" referring to the salty and fresh water "seas" surrounding the islands.
Bahrain is not as rich in oil or natural gas as its neighbours and is thus much more modest. In the 1970s, it gained from the demise of Beirut during the war to become the uncontested financial centre of the middle east. The country, therefore, developed much earlier than its neighbours and for the longest time was the place to be in the Gulf, the most liberal with the best infrastructure.
In the '90s, when oil prices hit record lows, the entire region, Bahrain included, remained somewhat dormant, until... Dubai emerged and surprised the world with its accomplishments, serving as a wake up call to its sister cities. With Dubai now aiming to be THE financial centre in the region, and Doha chasing after Dubai -- not to mention Beirut returning to the scene -- Bahrain has awoken to a frenzy of competition. The island has suddenly rushed to launch a number of projects aimed at retaining its title. We shall see who prevails...
Latest visits to Bahrain:
Nov 2011 (driving through)
Nov 2012 (2 nights)
Feb 2013 (1 night)
Apr 2014 (2 nights)
Oct 2015 (1 night)
Mar 2016 (1 night)
Recommended by a local friend, Vinoteca Barcelona turned out to be a great dining experience. The weather was perfect,... more travel advice
Recommended by my friend call_me_rhia, Maki was certain to be exquisite. It is located in what is now the country's most... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Bahrain Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Al Bahrain - the 2 oceans"
- "Bahrain, the two waters"
- "Bahrain.. An Easy Get Away From Saudi Arabia"
- "Middle East's little Island of Paradise"
- "Bahrain - The Two Seas"
- "Bahrain, The Pearl of the Arabian Gulf"
- "Living in Bahrain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bahrain
- Hotels in Bahrain
- Transportation in Bahrain
- Nightlife in Bahrain
- Restaurants in Bahrain
- Shopping in Bahrain
- Warnings and Dangers in Bahrain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bahrain
- 25 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Bahrain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bahrain
Photos in BahrainSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 172 reviews, 626 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 508 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 497 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues