Barcelona Off The Beaten Path Tips by MM212
Barcelona Off The Beaten Path: 481 reviews and 745 photos
Sitges is a beautiful seaside resort within close proximity to Barcelona. Due to the short 45-minute train ride, the charming town has become a favourite summer destination for Barcelona residents and visitors alike. While most visitors go directly to the beach, the historic town does not lack in cultural and historical aspects. La Vila Vella (Old Sitges) traces its roots to the pre-Roman period. It remained an agricultural and fishing village before turning into a defensive castle in mediaeval times, but with increased commercial links to the Americas in the 18th century, Sitges entered the modern period with greater affluence and importance. The Fin de Siècle period attracted many Catalan artists, writers and intelligentsia, thus making Sitges a focal point of Catalan identity and leading to the construction of many Modernista buildings – an important manifestation of Catalan self-expression.
For more, check out the full Sitges page.
More Reviews (75)
MM212's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "The capital of County of Barcelona"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 76 Reviews
- 304 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 494 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
- Sagrada Familia- 473 Reviews, 1,064 Photos
- Las Ramblas- 182 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Parc Guell- 324 Reviews, 688 Photos
- Casa Milà - La Pedrera- 187 Reviews, 358 Photos
- Tibidabo- 53 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Casa Batlló- 139 Reviews, 291 Photos
- Plaça Reial- 54 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Barri Gotic - Gothic Quarter- 102 Reviews, 212 Photos
- Mirador De Colom - Columbus Monument- 93 Reviews, 167 Photos
- Montjuic- 74 Reviews, 138 Photos
See All Barcelona Things to Do