"Madrid" Madrid by MM212
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,356 reviews and 10,924 photos
By Iberian standards, Madrid is a relatively new city. It was officially founded by the Arab Emir Mohamed I when, in the 10th century, he built a fortress (alcázar) on the site of el Palacio Real and named it Mayrit. The primary purpose of Mayrit was to protect Toledo, to its south, from the threat posed by the Christian north. While a small town did develop around alcázar in the following years, it was not until centuries later, when in 1561 Madrid was made the official capital of Spain, that a true city was born and grew into a capital befitting an empire. Today, with its several million inhabitants, monumental architecture, and rich culture, Madrid continues to be a magnificent capital of a glorious past and present.
Rich in history, culture, art, architecture, entertainment, and fine cuisine, Madrid is a fascinating place to visit. It is a city that never sleeps, with madrileños pouring into the streets in greater numbers during the night than in daytime. Late at night, whether at a bar, café, or in a plaza, is when madrileños are the most energetic. It is the best time to meet locals and to immerse oneself in local culture. Visitors often find it hard to manage both day time sightseeing and night time bar hopping, so best not forget that this is why the siesta was invented!
My first visit to Madrid was a quick weekend trip from Paris in January 1996. The city left such an impression that I returned in the following month (this time from New York) for a several day trip during which I was also able to see Segovia and Toledo. Then, after a ten-year absence, I returned in Easter 2006 to this beautiful city and found it equally fascinating. And again in November 2007 for quick 3-day trip.
Although work began in the late 19th century, it was not until the 1980s that construction of Catedral de la Almudena... more travel advice
Despite its medieval gothic architecture, the church of Santa Teresa de Jesús was only built in 1928. It is located to... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 60 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues