"Milano" Milan by MM212
Milan Travel Guide: 2,854 reviews and 7,175 photos
Italy's industrial centre, Milan, traces its roots back to the Celts who dominated Europe in ancient times, but it was the Romans who gave it the Latin name Mediolanum when they conquered it in the 3rd century BC. The city has since grown in importance to become Italy's second and its economic backbone. It is also one of the world's most prestigious fashion and design centres, as evidenced by its incredible shopping district. The most famous sights for any visitor include il Duomo - the magnificent Gothic cathedral, Teatro alla Scala - the world renowned opera house, and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, not to mention the famous painting of the Last Supper.
My first visit to Milan was in Dec 2006 while in transit between New York City and Damascus. I had the opportunity to spend 5 hours in the city centre, but it was barely enough time to quickly glance at the most important highlights. I have been fortunate enough to return again a few of times, though all on business and for short periods of time (rarely enough to do additional sightseeing), and have enjoyed every visit. I find the central district (il Centro) beautiful and with similar energy and style to Paris or London, despite many warnings of the horrors of Milan. Indeed, many parts of Milano are not Italy's best foot forward, but if this is the worst Italy has to offer, it is still wonderful!
Trips to Milan:
Dec 2006 (5 hours)
Sep 2012 (5 hours)
Apr 2013 (2 nights)
Nov 2013 (1 night)
May 2014 (1 night)
This elegant salon de thé is located in the heart of the shopping district. It is a historic locale, founded in 1817 and... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Milan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MILAN - As I've always wanted to visit"
- "Home sweet home!"
- "La Dolce Vita In Milano ;-)"
- "Milan - surprising and fascinating"
- "Visconti? Sforza? Leonardo? Just Milan!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milan
- Hotels in Milan
- Transportation in Milan
- Nightlife in Milan
- Restaurants in Milan
- Shopping in Milan
- Warnings and Dangers in Milan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milan
- 12 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Milan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues