"Milano" Milan by MM212
Milan Travel Guide: 2,838 reviews and 7,129 photos
Italy's industrial centre, Milan, traces its roots back to the Celts who dominated Europe in ancient times, but it was the Romans who conquered it in the 3rd century BC and gave it the Latin name Mediolanum. The city has since grown in importance to become Italy's second and its economic backbone. It is also one of the world's most prestigious fashion and design centres, as evidenced by its incredible shopping district. The most famous sights for any visitor include il Duomo - the magnificent Gothic cathedral, Teatro alla Scala - the world renowned opera house, and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.
I had the opportunity to spend 5 hours in the city of Milan while in transit between New York City and Damascus. It was barely enough time to quickly glance at the most important highlights, but certainly not sufficient to experience the city. I found the central district (il Centro) beautiful and having similar energy and style to Paris or London, despite many warnings of the horrors of Milan. Perhaps it was because I visited on the Saturday before Natale (Christmas) or because it was a spectacularly sunny day, but regardless, I really had a pleasant, albeit short time in Milano. My only disappointment is that I was not able to have a proper meal given the hours I was in Milan (2:30pm - 7:30pm). La prossima volta!
Trips to Milan:
Dec 2006 (5 hours)
Sep 2012 (5 hours)
Apr 2013 (2 nights)
Nov 2013 (1 night)
One of Milan's best hotels, Principe di Savoia is housed in a Belle Epoque-style building. Though expensive beyond... more travel advice
Milan is known as the fashion capital of Italy, so it is the centre of the industry. This is reflected in its glitzy... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Milan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MILAN - As I've always wanted to visit"
- "Home sweet home!"
- "La Dolce Vita In Milano ;-)"
- "Milan - surprising and fascinating"
- "Milan l'è Milan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milan
- Hotels in Milan
- Transportation in Milan
- Nightlife in Milan
- Restaurants in Milan
- Shopping in Milan
- Warnings and Dangers in Milan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milan
- 11 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Milan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milan
Photos in MilanSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues