"Portofino" Top 5 Page for this destination Portofino by MM212
Portofino Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 487 photos
Founded by the Romans and named Portus Delphini (Port of the Dolphins), Portofino is one of the most picturesque towns in Italy. Its brightly coloured architecture surrounds a natural fishing harbour sheltered by wooded hills on either side. The promontory above the harbour was recognised first by the Romans and then by the Genoese as a strategic location from which the Mediterranean and the Tigullian Gulf (Golfo del Tigullio) could be monitored, leading both to build a fortified castle on the site. As its defensive importance waned, Portofino gradually subsided into a sleepy fishing village, even as wealthy Brits and northern Europeans started using it as a winter retreat in the late 19th century. It was not until the 1950s that the town emerged as a glamorous summer resort whose name became synonymous with the Italian Riviera.
Oratorio di Nostra Signora Assunta is a tiny chapel dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. The simple chapel, with a hint... more travel advice
Portofino's typical architectural style adds to the beauty of the town. Most of the buildings are painted in bright... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Portofino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portofino - a scenic place in Liguria !!"
- "Portofino - Jewel of the Italian Riviera"
- "Day Visit To Beautiful Portofino"
- "A gem tucks in Ligurian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portofino
- Hotels in Portofino
- Transportation in Portofino
- Restaurants in Portofino
- Shopping in Portofino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portofino
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Portofino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portofino
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 172 reviews, 626 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 525 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 497 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 96 reviews, 340 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues