"Portovenere e le Cinque Terre" Portovenere by MM212
Portovenere Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 368 photos
A sleepy seaside resort, Portovenere is a picturesque town located at the southern end of the national park of le Cinque Terre. The town is a great base from which to visit the isolated villages of le Cinque Terre which are best accessible by ferry - or traghetto - from Portovenere.
Along with the whole of le Cinque Terre, Portovenere was designated in 1997 as a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO. Not only is the town itself is filled with history, but its surroundings are also incredibly rich in flora and fauna. During Roman times, then known as Portus Veneris, it was a fishing village with an important Temple of Venus, to which the town owes its name (Venere = Venus). After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the town became the base of the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) fleet. Then after changing hands a few times, Portovenere became part of Genoa and remained an important defensive town. Much of the architectural heritage left over the centuries remains to be admired to this day.
Portovenere's views are dominated by the large rocky island known as Isola Palmaria. It is separated from the mainland... more travel advice
Portovenere lies at the southern end of the national park of Cinque Terre and is a great base for visiting the park and... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Portovenere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portovenere - Our Favourite Place in all of Italy!"
- "Portovenere - The Jewel of Liguria"
- "In the Bay of Poets"
- "Portovenere e le Cinque Terre"
- "Under-rated a must see in Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portovenere
- Hotels in Portovenere
- Transportation in Portovenere
- Nightlife in Portovenere
- Restaurants in Portovenere
- Shopping in Portovenere
- Warnings and Dangers in Portovenere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portovenere
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Portovenere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portovenere
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues