"Roma - Città Eterna" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome by MM212

Rome Travel Guide: 11,966 reviews and 26,452 photos

Take me to Rome any day...

Without a doubt, Rome is my favourite city in this world. There is little to dislike about Rome, and too much to love for a short introductory paragraph. Even listing random non-descriptive positives about Rome: history, cuisine, culture, architecture, language, cappuccino, Romans, art, ancient ruins, sculpture, shopping, fashion, parks, pine trees, gelato etc., could be an eternal task. I will therefore stick to the sweetest thing about Rome, which is simply being in Rome... being there to observe... being there to taste... being there to absorb... being there to experience - or rather do - as the Romans do...

The Eternal City deserves several visits and then some in order to see it in its entirety. I have made numerous short trips to Rome in Nov 1999, Jan 2005, Mar 2007 and Dec 2008 (not counting many other airport stops), but in 2009, my love for the city, coupled with unusual circumstances, has led me to spend six delightful Spring weeks here in Apr/May. I repeated the experience for three weeks in the following April 2010. My only trip to Rome since then has been a short weekend in Mar 2012. I can't wait to go back again...The pictures and tips included are from various trips, but it is an ongoing process as there is so much more to write about. However numerous these tips may seem, they only scratch the surface of this multi-layered open air museum. Remember, they say there are approximately 365 churches in Rome, one for each day of the year!

My tour of Rome begins at Trinita' dei Monti, just above the famous Spanish Steps. Then we descend the steps through the glamorous shopping district and up to Piazza del Popolo, followed by a tour of the Centro Storico (Historic Centre) of the city (Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de' Fiori, etc.). Next comes the heart of Ancient Rome and its Fora, Colosseum and temples. Lastly, we walk through the Quirinal Hill and end in Villa Borghese.

Ciao Roma!

• Pros:Tutto
  • Cons:Non c'è
  • Last visit to Rome: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2012

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2012 at 4:30 AM

You have visited many places I didn't get the chance to see. I've been there many times, but I'm usually alone and keep going back to my favourites. Luckily Vt has people like you to help fill in the gaps.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Lovely page. I like that you like to return to places many times. I also do that with places that appeal to me. All the best, Irene

• Hildeal's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

can't wait to get there in September !

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM

Great Rome pages!

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2011 at 6:04 AM

splendida vista di Roma, great job Mo. All around probably my favorite city-

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Fabulous pages--so glad you got a Barney nomination! Well done!

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Well done Momo on the reviews and so many updates. Think we're doing 9 days in Rome August, considering the Piramide/ Tesataccio are this time (our 7th visit; my 8th including 1970!) so delighted to see this area feature on your pages.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Yes, your view of Roma is exactly what I was looking for: hidden places and churches and treasures and a Roma without the masses of foreigners :-) You will be my guidebook when I go for a visit :-)) Thanks Momo :-)

• armandj's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2010 at 12:00 AM

wonderful. these are not the usual sight we see of Rome but just as wonderful. thank you.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Sounds like you ate lots of good food....LOL

MM212 Visits Here Frequently!

MM212

“One new place each year, at a minimum...”

Badges & Stats in Rome