"Sanremo" Top 5 Page for this destination San Remo by MM212
San Remo Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 89 photos
Sanremo, or San Remo, is the largest town in Liguria west of Genoa. It is one of the best known resorts in the Italian Riviera, located a short distance from the French border. It is famous for its casino and the annual music festival, il Festival della Canzone Italiana di Sanremo, which takes place in February.
Much like many of the resorts along this coast on either side of today's France-Italy border, Sanremo became popular during the 19th century as a winter destination for the bourgeoisie coming in from colder climates, particularly Russia. This brought wealth to Sanremo, which subsequently led to the construction of numerous Belle Époque villas, hotels and residential buildings to accommodate the visitors. It transformed the tiny walled mediaeval village into a larger and fancier resort town. Since then, some of this past glamour has remained in Sanremo, but with tourism reverting to Summer rather than Winter.
Located in Palazzo Borea d'Olmo with a separate entrance, il Caffè Ducale has an interior with a hint of its palatial... more travel advice
This mediaeval cylindrical tower lies out of place amid more modern buildings on Piazza del Mercato. It is known as... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
San Remo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Remo - Gem of the Italian Riviera"
- "perchè san remo è... san remo?"
- "Great Hospitality"
- "San Remo"
- "San Remo and the Italian Riviera"
- "San Remo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Remo
- Hotels in San Remo
- Transportation in San Remo
- Restaurants in San Remo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Remo
- 11 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to San Remo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Remo
Photos in San RemoSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 494 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues