"Avignon - Cité des papes et du théâtre" Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon by MM212
Avignon Travel Guide: 509 reviews and 1,483 photos
Known as Avenio in Gallo-Roman times, Avignon has always been an important city connecting the Mediterranean with inner France. It is situated in Provence between the delta of the river Rhône and the Rhône valley in a convergence of routes. After remaining dormant in the dark ages, Avignon reached its apogee in the 14th century with the transfer of the pope from Rome following the schism. The city's most important monument, le Palais des Papes, a UNESCO world heritage site since 1995, dates from this period. Another world heritage site is Pont Saint-Bénezet, better known as le Pont d'Avignon, the famous half destroyed bridge.
Avignon's charm lies in the narrow streets of its medieval walled city which contain numerous Gothic and Baroque churches, as well as stunning maisons particuliers. Every July, the city holds le Festival d'Avignon, a festival of theatre which showcases large productions as well as aspiring plays. Crowds from all over France and beyond fill the old city, and many of its palaces and churches are turned into stages for various productions.
On the first day of the festival in July 2007, I spent an afternoon in Avignon, but could have stayed longer. The city has enough to do and see to keep a traveller entertained for two or three days, and therefore Avignon would make a fantastic weekend trip.
Designed by the architect Valentin in 1874, Hôtel Danieli possesses one of the most ornate façades on rue de la... more travel advice
The church built over Pont d'Avignon is in fact split into two chapels. The Romanesque-style lower level is Chapelle... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Avignon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dilettante & Demoiselles of Avignon"
- "Enchanting Avignon!"
- "Avignon - Cité des papes et du théâtre"
- "Several Popes and More"
- "The Papacy of Avignon"
- "Beautiful Architecture, Romans, Popes, Arts..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avignon
- Hotels in Avignon
- Transportation in Avignon
- Nightlife in Avignon
- Restaurants in Avignon
- Shopping in Avignon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avignon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avignon
- 23 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Avignon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avignon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues