"Biot" Top 5 Page for this destination Biot by MM212
Biot Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 80 photos
Just another hilltop village on the Côte d'Azur, Biot is only a short drive from Antibes. Although Biot's early roots date back to the pre-Roman period, the town came into light in mediaeval times when it served as the seat for a group of Knights Templar and Hospitaller. A defensive castrum or castle existed on the hill where the town is now located, but in the 14th and 15th centuries, Biot and its population were destroyed by civil war and disease. A group from Italy moved in, reconstructed and repopulated the town. Today's local population descends from those very Italians.
Biot has been known for centuries for its pottery and jars which travelled across the Mediterranean transporting olives and flour. Over the years the Biot locals added glassblowing to their historic skills and the town now boasts several small factories dedicated to the manufacture of artistic glass and jars.
The quiet village makes a nice afternoon trip from anywhere along the Côte d'Azur.
Like most Mediterranean villages in this part of Europe, Biot is perched on top of a hill. Although not as high as other... more travel advice
Like many small villages on the Côte d'Azur, the local population in Biot once spoke a dialect referred to as Provençal.... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Biot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Biot Village"
- "It's the Simple Things"
- "Bienvenue à Biot"
- "Biot: Village of arts and tourist shops"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Biot
- Hotels in Biot
- Transportation in Biot
- Restaurants in Biot
- Shopping in Biot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Biot
- 6 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Biot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biot
Photos in BiotSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues