"Abu Simbel" Temple of Abu Simbel by MM212
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 919 photos
One of Egypt's most impressive sites, Abu Simbel is unforgettable. Its two temples were built in the 13th century BC by Ramses II, one dedicated to himself and the gods Horus, Amun and Ptah, and another dedicated to his wife Nefertari and the goddess Hathor. The temples had the double purpose of equating the Pharaoh and his wife with the gods, while intimidating the Nubians further south. The Temples' location at the southern frontier of Ancient Egypt and the Nile's passage into Nubia meant that a traveller's first sight in Egypt was the four impressive colossi of the Great Ramses.
Today, the Temples are located near the Sudanese border in the southernmost part of modern Egypt, overlooking Lake Nasser. They were originally located lower down the hill in an area now submerged by the lake. While the High Dam near Aswan was being built, the temples were rescued and reconstructed with incredible precision at their current location. The rescue project itself was as much of an engineering marvel as the original construction of the temples some 3300 years ago under the orders of Ramses the Great.
Taken at the Nubian Museum in Aswan, this photo is of an old black and white photograph of the Temples of Abu Simbel.... more travel advice
Though smaller than the Temple of Ramses II, the interior of the Temple of Nefertari is quite elegant. It is made up of... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Uploaded a Photo to "Temple of Ramses II - Hypostyle Hall"
- updated a Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Page "Abu Simbel"
- Wrote a Review Getting to Abu Simbel in Temple of Abu Simbel Transportation
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Temple of Abu Simbel travel pages
- Posted in Travel Madrid Forum "El Rastro on Easter Sunday"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues