"القاهرة" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo by MM212
Cairo Travel Guide: 3,981 reviews and 9,563 photos
Cairo is a city of many cities. Throughout its many millennia and several names, Memphis, Babylon, Fustat, or Cairo, Africa's largest city has been a centre of great importance to many civilisations, cultures and religions. From Pharaonic and Graeco-Roman to Ottoman and European, and passing by Jewish, Christian, and Islamic, each of its identities has left a strong imprint on Cairo, thus making it one of the most fascinating cities in the world. Small wonder Egyptians call it Umm el Dunya, "Mother of the World."
My tour of Cairo begins with tips that describe its different sections and neighbourhoods, each of which represents a period in the city's long history in chronological order. These are followed by a detailed architectural and historic tour of each area in roughly reverse chronology: modern, European, Ottoman, Mamluke & Fatimid Cairo (from Khan el Khalili to the Citadel), el-Fustat (from the Citadel to Mosque of Amr ibn el-As), and finally Coptic Cairo. Further details on the Pyramids of Giza and Saqqara are on separate pages. I have tried to incorporate cultural and historic references to spice up most of my tips. Few cities in the world surpass Cairo in number of monuments or architectural styles. Although my tips may seem numerous, one must keep in mind that there are approximately 800 listed monuments in Mediaeval Cairo alone, while many of the 19th and early 20th century European-style architectural gems are not even listed! This is another reason why Cairo could be so mesmerising... Enjoy the tour!
- Pros:The people, the history, the architecture, the Nile and the Pyramids!
- Cons:Traffic, congestion, pollution, touts
Up until the construction of the Mosque of Muhammad Ali in the 19th century, this mosque was the grand mosque of the... more travel advice
The courtyard of the Mosque of Muhammad Ali is surrounded by arcaded porticoes and has a domed ablution fountain at its... more travel advice
- See All Hotel de Charme in Islamic Cairo
- See All Tannoura Sufi Dance
- See All Cairo's Best Pizza?
- Recommended Reading
MM212's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "The 4 days were far from enough"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 130 Reviews
- 443 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (443)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues