"Philae" Top 5 Page for this destination Philae by MM212
Philae Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 342 photos
Considered one of Egypt's most romanticised sites, the Complex of Philae has been attracting visitors and pilgrims for over two thousand years. Dedicated to the cult of Isis, the original construction first began under Nectanebo I in the 4th century BC and continued for centuries through Ptolemaic and Roman periods, while the complex persisted as the last bastion of paganism in the Roman Empire. It is here that Ancient Egyptian religion was finally extinguished, as late as 540 AD. The temples were later converted to churches only to be abandoned as Islam slowly took over the region. After the completion of the Aswan Dam in 1902, the temples of Philae were submerged under water for about six months per year, but in 1970, with the help of UNESCO, the entire complex was dismantled and reconstructed on the higher Agilkia island next door. The new island was even landscaped to look like the original island of Philae. Visiting this site is a must when in Aswan. It is located about 15 minutes south of Aswan by car, then it can only be reached by boat.
Built around 1900 during the British occupation of Egypt, the Aswan Dam was the largest of its kind at the time. The... more travel advice
Although Philae was the last bastion of paganism and Ancient Egyptian religion in the Roman Empire, it finally succumbed... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Philae Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Philae Temples at night"
- "Philae - Temple on the Island"
- "Nile River Temple on Philae Island"
- "Philae temples"
- "The Temple of Philae"
- "Last Retreat for the Ancient Egyptian Religion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philae
- Transportation in Philae
- Nightlife in Philae
- Restaurants in Philae
- Warnings and Dangers in Philae
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philae
- 16 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Philae?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philae
Photos in PhilaeSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues