"Saqqara" Top 5 Page for this destination Saqqarah by MM212
Saqqarah Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 246 photos
Serving as a necropolis in Ancient Egypt for about 3000 years, Saqqara is one of the richest and largest archeological sites in the whole of Egypt. Its proximity to Memphis, one of Ancient Egypt's greatest capitals, ensured that it contain a vast number of tombs and funerary structures spanning all dynasties. Saqqara's most important tomb, the 3rd Dynasty Step Pyramid of Djoser, predates the Pyramids of Giza and is known to be humanity's first monumental stone structure. A visit to Saqqara is necessary on any itinerary in Egypt to better understand the country's long history. Saqqara happens to be a less popular site among Egypt's mass tourism industry, and is therefore a more pleasant experience than the overcrowded Pyramids of Giza. The vast necropolis, measuring a length of 7km, lies about 30 minutes south of the great city of Cairo.
Saqqara has served as a burial ground for thousands of years. It is thus dotted with numerous tombs and mastabas from... more travel advice
North of the Pyramid of Djoser lie the ruins of the Funerary Temple of Djoser. The Temple was the site of the funerary... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Saqqarah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the valley of the dead"
- "Saqqarah- a splendid site"
- "The Oldest Stone Monument in the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saqqarah
- Transportation in Saqqarah
- Shopping in Saqqarah
- Warnings and Dangers in Saqqarah
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saqqarah
- 13 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Saqqarah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saqqarah
Photos in SaqqarahSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues