"Necropolis of Thebes" Necropolis of Thebes by MM212
Necropolis of Thebes Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 196 photos
As one of the richest archeological sites in the world, Thebes and its necropolis count among Egypt's main attractions. Following the tradition of Ancient Egypt, the Necropolis of Thebes is located at the edge of the desert on the west bank of the Nile, while the city of Thebes, modern day Luxor, is on the east bank. The west, where the sun sets, symbolises death and the afterlife, whereas the east, where it rises, symbolises the beginning of life. Therefore, most of Ancient Egypt's necropoli are located on the west bank (e.g., Giza, Saqqara, etc.).
Although this area was used as a burial place as early as the Old Kingdom, it was not until the New Kingdom (after 1500 BC) that kings and queens of Ancient Egypt chose it as the burial place of choice. This coincided with the golden age of Egyptian art and architecture resulting in magnificent tombs embelished with exuberant decorations and luxurious objects, and built alongside majestic funerary temples. Many of these temples have not survived the test of time, but the few that have stand to astonish the most doubtful of visitors. A trip to Luxor is as close as one gets to time travel, to a world so different from our own... be ready for the journey!
Although there are a few hotels on the west bank of Luxor (i.e., the Necropolis of Thebes), most visitors tend to stay... more travel advice
While I did not try it, a hot air balloon ride above the Necropolis of Thebes seems like a fun idea. It is popular among... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Necropolis of Thebes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valley of the Kings in Western Thebes"
- "Necropolis of Thebes"
- "A 'Descent' Into The Underworld..."
- "Hatshepsut Temple at Deir al-Bahri"
- "necropolis of thebes"
- "Thebes, EG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Necropolis of Thebes
- Hotels in Necropolis of Thebes
- Transportation in Necropolis of Thebes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Necropolis of Thebes
- 41 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Necropolis of Thebes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Necropolis of Thebes
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "Re: Sagalassos"
- updated a Necropolis of Thebes Travelogue "Madinet Habu - Temple of Ramses III"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Madinet Habu - Temple of Ramses III"
- Wrote a Review Travelling around the Necropolis of Thebes in Necropolis of Thebes Transportation
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Necropolis of Thebes travel pages
Photos in Necropolis of ThebesSee All Photos (122)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 116 reviews, 474 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 442 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 78 reviews, 318 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues