"Fréjus - Forum Julii" Top 5 Page for this destination Fréjus by MM212
Fréjus Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 88 photos
Fréjus, a dormant town lying a short distance from the beaches of the Mediterranean, hides an important long history. Originally named Forum Julii, the city was founded by Julius Caeser himself in the year 49 BC. Its relative importance is demonstrated by two Roman theatres and an aqueduct, all of which are visible to this day, and along with the cathedral and two museums, they constitute the major attractions. Perhaps though, the town's greatest feature is its isolation from mass tourism even in mid-summer, a rarity on the Côte d'Azur! Fréjus is a pleasant place to spend a morning or an afternoon on the way to Saint-Tropez or to the beaches of Saint Raphaël, or an entire holiday if you prefer to be away from tourists.
The downtown area of Fréjus is typical of small towns along the Mediterranean in France: picturesque with pastel... more travel advice
Remains of the Roman Aqueduct can be seen along avenue du Général d'armée Jean Calliès, the avenue linking Fréjus to... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Fréjus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fréjus - Forum Julii"
- "Diamond in the Rough"
- "Frejus - a nice little town on the French Riviera"
- "Chapelle Cocteau - "Our Lady of Jerusalem""
- "From ancient Forum Julii to present Frejus"
- "Worth a detour"
- "Great little town on the Water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fréjus
- Hotels in Fréjus
- Transportation in Fréjus
- Nightlife in Fréjus
- Restaurants in Fréjus
- Shopping in Fréjus
- Warnings and Dangers in Fréjus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fréjus
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Fréjus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fréjus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 172 reviews, 626 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 525 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 497 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 96 reviews, 340 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues