"AbuDhabiأبوظبي" Top 5 Page for this destination Abu Dhabi by MM212
Abu Dhabi Travel Guide: 527 reviews and 1,735 photos
Built on an island off the main coast of the UAE, Abu Dhabi is a compact, modern, orderly, and civilised city. I first travelled to Abu Dhabi on business in November 2005 and have since returned on many other occasions. The capital city of the UAE would strike you as more conservative than Dubai, though the hotels offer a very liberal haven for locals and westerners alike. All of this is quite a contrast from Dubai which is more flashy, super liberal (in its own way) and quite spread out.
The former ruler of Abu Dhabi is rumoured to have dictated that not a single particle of desert sand remain in the city. Abu Dhabi has since been planted with beautiful gardens and completely built up. In recent years, the government provided low interest (or no interest?) loans to landowners to destroy the ugly old buildings from the '70s/'80s and to replace them with nicer modern towers. The result has been this rather pretty and uniform city (despite some of the modern structures still lacking in aesthetics).
Since around 2006, the city has proceeded to reinvent itself with ambitious mega projects to become a more sophisticated alternative to Dubai. Several of the islands adjacent to the main island-city are in the process of being developed into residential and business centres to attract international businesses and tourists alike. In particular, Saâdiyat Island is intended to host branches of reputable international museums, such as the Louvre and the Guggenheim, in avant-garde architectural structures, while promoting more ecologically friendly construction.
Most recent visits to Abu Dhabi:
Mar 2016 - 2 nights
- Pros:Scenic and very calm city, nice beaches
- Cons:Not much to do, though slowly developing
- In a nutshell:Better quality of life than Dubai, but less fun
Very well prepared Lebanese dishes at Li Beirut, in the Jumeirah Etihad Towers Hotel in Abu Dhabi. The restaurant is... more travel advice
This is the headquarters of IPIC, the International Petroleum Investment Company, in Abu Dhabi. It was completed in 2012... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Abu Dhabi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Abu Dhabi the Beautiful ? safe ? luxurious city"
- "Abu Dhabi - Experience the Magic"
- "Abu Dhabi Trip"
- "A day in Abu Dhabi"
- "Faiza & Ifrah's Abu Dhabi off the beaten path"
- "Desert Rose"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abu Dhabi
- Hotels in Abu Dhabi
- Transportation in Abu Dhabi
- Nightlife in Abu Dhabi
- Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
- Shopping in Abu Dhabi
- Warnings and Dangers in Abu Dhabi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abu Dhabi
- 33 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Abu Dhabi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abu Dhabi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 172 reviews, 626 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 525 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 497 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 96 reviews, 340 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues