"Suweida - Dionysias - Suda" As Suwayda' by MM212
As Suwayda' Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 51 photos
Founded as Suda by the Nabataeans in the 4th century BC, Suweida lies in the fertile region of the Hauran in southern Syria. In 23 BC, it was ruled by Herod the Great, and in 92 AD, it came under direct Roman rule, first as part of the province of Syria, then the province of Arabia. In the 2nd century AD, it was renamed Dionysias, after the Roman god of wine, Dionysus, who was equated with the Nabataean god, Dushara. When the city was conquered by the Arabs in the 7th century AD, its Semitic name was restored as Suweida, which means the "little black one" in reference to the black basalt stones of its buildings.
Nowadays, Suweida is the capital of the Governorate of Suweida in Syria. Its population consists mostly of Druze, and contains a sizeable minority of Greek Orthodox as well. Expansion of Suweida in the past couple of centuries has erased most of the town's ancient structures, with the exception of a few scattered remains. Its archaeological museum, however, is known for its splendid mosaics and other ancient artefacts. Other nearby towns, such as Bosra, Shahba and Qanawat, boast important and well-preserved ancient ruins, which can all be combined in a single day trip from Damascus, or from Amman if the Syrian visa is obtained in advance.
Suweida lies in the very fertile region of Hauran, dominated by the gentle sloping 1800-metre Jebel al-Arab peak. The... more travel advice
The old quarter of Suweida is located in the centre of town. Many badly preserved structures are scattered around, many... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
As Suwayda' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STRONG ROOTS"
- "Suweida - Dionysias - Suda"
- "My Hometown"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in As Suwayda'
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to As Suwayda'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in As Suwayda'
Photos in As Suwayda'See All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 172 reviews, 626 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 508 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 497 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues