"Homs - Emesa" Hims by MM212
Hims Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 24 photos
SAVE HOMS NOW!
Not much of the ancient Emesa, whose history spans thousands of years, remains today. Syria's third city is now a busy urban centre whose geographic situation ensures that almost all Syrian roads lead to it! Similar to Aleppo and Hama, it is located at the end of the desert where it gives way suddenly to fertile farmlands. The city is thus considered a desert port, open to the desert, much like the Mediterranean cities are open to the seas.
I drove through Homs twice during my 2006 trip to Syria and only stopped for directions and petrol. And then drove through once again in 2008. There didn't seem to be much to see in the city, as confirmed by my travel guide books, with the exception of a couple of historic mosques, churches and palaces. However, its proximity to some of the historic sites, such as Krak des Chevaliers (45 minutes) and Palmyra (2 hours), makes it a good stopping point between day trips. Though my recommendation would be to spend the night in the more charming Hama, only 20 minutes north of Homs.
Syria itinerary in Dec 2006:
Damascus - Maaloula - Krak des Chevaliers - Homs - Palmyra/Tadmur - Hama - Apamea - Aleppo - Al Barah/Serjilla - Damascus
Syria & Lebanon itinerary in Mar 2008:
Damascus - Hama - Apamea - Aleppo - Saint Simeon - Moushabbak Church - Hama - Homs - Damascus - Beqaa Valley & Beirut
- In a nutshell:Homs has been totally destroyed by the Syrian Army
The most magnificent of all Crusader castles, and possibly of all medieval castles around the world, Krak des... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Hims Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homs - Emesa"
- "Third largest city in Syria"
- "Krac Des Chevaliers"
- "Crak des Chevalier"
- "Homs .."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hims
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Hims?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hims
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 494 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues