"Maaloula" Top 5 Page for this destination Ma`lula by MM212
Ma`lula Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 206 photos
Hidden in a breathtaking deep narrow valley at the foothills of the Anti-Lebanon Mountains, Maaloula has served as a refuge to smaller Christian communities since Roman times. The town's isolation has also preserved Aramaic, the language spoken by Christ, to this day in local churches, and supposedly in the homes of some of its native inhabitants. The population is about 90% Christian and 10% Moslem, as reflected by the single mosque but several historic churches. The town itself is very scenic, with its blue and yellow houses stacked up against high arid cliffs, and makes a wonderful day trip from Damascus, or a stop on the way to other destinations. It is located a mere 10 minutes off the Damascus-Homs motorway, about 45 minutes from the capital city. The entire town of Maaloula is currently on the UNESCO Tentative List awaiting inscription as a World Heritage Site.
My visit to Maaloula lasted just over an hour on the way to Krak des Chevaliers from Damascus. It was a fairly cold, foggy and rainy Boxing Day in 2006. Given how scenic the town was, I imagine deep blue skies would have only amplified its beauty, particularly against the powder blue houses.
Facing Maaloula is a large cross etched in one of the cliffs, seen in the attached photograph. The cross is a testament... more travel advice
The cliffs surrounding Maaloula are dotted with little caves. It is said that people have sought refuge in these caves... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Ma`lula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "paint me blue"
- "A Tiny and Different Town in Syria"
- "Our father in Armenic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ma`lula
- Hotels in Ma`lula
- Transportation in Ma`lula
- Restaurants in Ma`lula
- Shopping in Ma`lula
- Warnings and Dangers in Ma`lula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ma`lula
- 7 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Ma`lula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ma`lula
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues