Qanawat Off The Beaten Path Tips by MM212
Qanawat Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 0 photos
About 5-10 minutes by car south of Qanawat is a small village known as Sia (sometimes spelt Si'a, Siah, Seeah or Si). It contains the ruins of a historically and architecturally important temple of Baal-Shamin. It was originally built by the Nabateans in the 1st century BC, and became an important pilgrimage site, but was expanded under the Romans, up to around 200 AD. For archaeologists, it is considered a unique example of Nabatean temple architecture, despite heavy Roman influence of the latter period. Around 1900, the temple had survived very much intact and supposedly had incredibly beautiful decorations, as was documented by some travellers in the 19th and early 20th century. Unfortunately, a few years later, the Ottomans dismantled the temple to use its stones in the construction of a barracks and most of the temple was thus lost forever. I did not visit Sia due to time limitations, but hope to do so on my next visit to the region. I wanted to include a tip on Sia to remind myself before the next visit and to suggest it to any reader.
More Reviews (15)
MM212's Related Pages
Qanawat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Biblical Kenath"
- "Qanawat - Canatha"
- "Brief Stop Between Busra and Damascus"
- "Pictures of Qanawat"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dwarsgracht Hotels
- Ban Hua Thanon Hotels
- Amboseli National Park Hotels
- Kampong Sembulan Hotels
- Woodland Hills
Badges & Stats in Qanawat
- 16 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Qanawat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qanawat
Photos in QanawatSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 116 reviews, 474 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 442 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 78 reviews, 318 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues