Khirbat Serjilla Off The Beaten Path Tips by MM212
Khirbat Serjilla Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 7 photos
Located close and on the way to Serjilla, Al-Barah is said to be another large and extensive 'dead city'. It contains numerous mansions, churches and a monastery, spread across a large area and built among olive groves and orchards. One of its highlights is the existence of pyramidal tombs and also the fact that archeologists believe the landscape looks more similar to what it might have been when the towns where inhabited than does Serjilla, which is now over barren lands. Due to a shortage of time, my travel companions and I chose to limit our stop to Serjilla. However, while driving past al-Barah, I was able to take the two attached photographs. The architecture is definitely similar to Serjilla, but al-Barah seems to be heavily wooded, with olive and fruit trees growing among the ruins.
The landscape around Serjilla is very striking... almost moon-like. It is made up essentially of white/grey rocks. These rocks are the same ones that were used in the construction of many of the dead cities. It is said that when the dead cities were inhabited, the land around Serjilla was much more fertile, but soil erosion over time led to the exposure of the underlying rocks. See the attached photos.
The Dead City of Boudeh
On the way to Serjilla, as one turns off the main road, along the final stretch which ends in Serjilla itself, is another small 'dead city' called Boudeh. It is located roughly half way between Al-Barah and Serjilla. Boudeh is made up of only a small number of houses and my guidebook says it has the ruins of a pyramidal tomb. We did not stop in this village for a visit, but I managed to take the attached photo from the car.
More Reviews (11)
MM212's Related Pages
Khirbat Serjilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dead City of Serjilla"
- "A Dead City Called Serjilla..."
- "DEAD CITIES"
- See All...
Explore the World
- City of Manila Hotels
- Curepipe Hotels
- Neyyattinkara Hotels
- Tseung Kwan O Hotels
- Italy Off The Beaten Path
- Belize Off The Beaten Path
- Maryland Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Orlando Off The Beaten Path
- South Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Phoenix Off The Beaten Path
- County Wicklow Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Off The Beaten Path
- Nassau Off The Beaten Path
- Sitges Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Khirbat Serjilla
- 14 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Khirbat Serjilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khirbat Serjilla
Photos in Khirbat SerjillaSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 116 reviews, 474 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 442 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 78 reviews, 318 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues