"al Ula - العلا" Al `Ula by MM212
Al `Ula Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 148 photos
One of many oases in the Hijaz region of Arabia, al-Ula boasts unmatched natural beauty. Surrounded by red sand stone cliffs, the valley known as Wadi al-Qura contains endless green palm groves under near permanently blue skies. The natural wells in the valley, fed by the surrounding mountains, have created an oasis which has been cultivated since ancient times, and was an indispensable stop along the important incense trade route running from Yemen to the Levant. Ruins of the ancient settlement of Dedan have been excavated in al-Ula, including rock-cut tombs with lion sculptures carved by the Lihyanites some 2600 years ago. They were one of the valley's earliest settlers who created the powerful kingdom of Dedan. Various tribes settled and left the area thereafter, but al-Ula's more recent history began when the town was reconstructed in the 13th century AD using the ruins of ancient Dedan. Oil wealth in the last century brought rapid modernisation to al-Ula which led its population to abruptly abandon the picturesque mediaeval town for more modern facilities, leaving the village all but a ghost town ripe for tourist development.
Although itself rich in natural beauty and history, al-Ula will always remain in the shadow of the nearby archaeological site of Mada'in Saleh. Only 22 km north of al-Ula, the site contains the astonishing tombs and ruins of the 1st century AD Nabatean city of Hegra, which was recently inscribed as a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO. Al-Ula is the gateway to Hegra and the two together are the prime focus of the Saudi government's effort to promote tourism to the country (if reluctantly).
Although there is a rumour that an airfield near al-Ula will open for commercial traffic in the future, at present there... more travel advice
The mountains surrounding al-Ula are of extraordinary beauty. Many of them have unusual natural rock formations that... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Al `Ula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "al Ula - العلا"
- "Turkish History and Ancient Ages"
- "Al Ula and Madain Saleh"
- "Al ULA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al `Ula
- Hotels in Al `Ula
- Transportation in Al `Ula
- Restaurants in Al `Ula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al `Ula
- 17 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Al `Ula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al `Ula
Photos in Al `UlaSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues