"Muscat - مسقط" Top 5 Page for this destination Muscat by MM212
Muscat Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 1,175 photos
Unique among its sister cities in the Gulf, Muscat is where chocolate-coloured mountains touch the ocean. Although a sleepy town compared to Dubai, Muscat has more successfully blended tradition and modernity. With its no-stress, relaxed atmosphere, and hardly any skyscrapers to rival the peaks of the mountains, Muscat is a different world. Greater Muscat, the capital of Oman, is made up of a string of towns that were once distinct villages separated by mountains and seas: Old Muscat, Matrah, Ruwi and el-Qurm, to name a few. The country's history was shaped by Islam, by Ottoman and Persian interference, Portuguese and British occupations and an Omani maritime empire that extended all the way to Zanzibar in Africa. Muscat's proximity to the Indian subcontinent is also evident in its heritage and architecture. It is a city of rugged mountains, ancient castles, ornate mosques and beautiful beaches.
The hills and mountains surrounding the towns of Matrah and Old Muscat are dotted with 16th/17th century watchtowers.... more travel advice
Built in 1986, the Asma bint Alawi Mosque is the main mosque in Madinat al-Ilam (Information City, sometimes spelt... more travel advice
Written Nov 13, 2008
Muscat First Time
Written Nov 14, 2008
Second Visit to Muscat
MM212's Related Pages
Muscat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Muscat - An Amazing Arabic Port City"
- "Muscat - مسقط"
- "Muscat, A Beautiful Lush Green"
- "the road to muscat"
- "MUSCAT - OMAN - THE LAND OF FRANKENCENSE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muscat
- Hotels in Muscat
- Transportation in Muscat
- Nightlife in Muscat
- Restaurants in Muscat
- Shopping in Muscat
- Warnings and Dangers in Muscat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muscat
- 24 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Muscat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muscat
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues