"Beirut - بيروت" Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut by MM212
Beirut Travel Guide: 924 reviews and 1,814 photos
The capital of Lebanon and the gateway to the country, Beirut once was - and arguably is back as - the Paris of the Middle East. Practically obliterated by the civil war and Israeli invasions, Beirut is now doing what it does best: forgetting, rebuilding and reinventing itself, while the populace continues to party and live a decadent life. The beautiful Mediterranean city is trilingual (Arabic, French and English) and multi-cultural, and successfully blends the passions of the east with the refinement of the west. For some, though, it appears to struggle with identity as it amplifies all of the contradictions of the Middle East: it is European and Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Arab, wealthy and poor, opulent and rundown, modern and old, liberal and traditional, secular and religious, Moslem and Christian, be it Sunni or Shiite, Catholic or Orthodox. For a city that was destroyed and rebuilt seven times in its history, one trait does unite all of Beirut: the city always rises again.
From a visitor's perspective, Beirut offers superb restaurants, amazing nightlife, excellent shopping and hotels of all ranges. It is also rich in history and architectural heritage that span several millennia and civilisations, with traces of Roman Berytus and Phoenician Biruta visible to this day. Beirut is also a great departure point to tour the rest of Lebanon, which offers a stark contrast to the wealthy capital with a European silhouette, all within no more than a two hour drive.
With its beautiful architecture and scenery, delicious cuisine, exciting nightlife and amazing history, Beirut is a destination not to be missed.
Lebanon itinerary in March 2005:
Beirut - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Liban Nord (El Arz - Bcharré) - Tripoli - Mont Liban (Brummana - Beit Meri) - Byblos - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon itinerary in November 2005:
Beirut - Liban Nord (northern Lebanon) - Tripoli - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Mont Liban - Byblos
Lebanon itinerary in June 2006:
Syria & Lebanon itinerary in March 2008:
Syria - Beqaa Valley- Beirut
Lebanon & Syria itinerary in Dec 2009/Jan 2010:
Beirut - Liban Nord - Tripoli - Byblos - Beqaa Valley - Aanjar - Damascus - Baalbek - Mont Liban (Brummana - Beit Meri) - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon itinerary in September 2010:
Beirut - Sidon - Mont Liban (Brummana - Byblos)
- Pros:Gorgeous country, rich culture, fascinating history, hospitable people.
- Cons:Political chaos
One of the most fascinating spaces in Beirut, the interior of al-Omari Mosque mixes Romanesque/Crusader, Ottoman,... more travel advice
Located at Biel (north of downtown Beirut) with strategic views of the Mediterranean and the mountains, al Mandaloun sur... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Beirut Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beirut - بيروت"
- "Home sweet home :-)"
- "**********MY HOME**********"
- "Beyrouth - the capital of Lebanon"
- "Beirut -a phoenix risen from the ashes"
- "BEIRUT - Independent - Free and - United"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beirut
- Hotels in Beirut
- Transportation in Beirut
- Nightlife in Beirut
- Restaurants in Beirut
- Shopping in Beirut
- Warnings and Dangers in Beirut
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beirut
- 95 Reviews
- 316 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Beirut?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beirut
Photos in BeirutSee All Photos (316)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 494 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues