"Byblos جبيل" Top 5 Page for this destination Jbail by MM212
Jbail Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 148 photos
A pretty Mediterranean resort town 30 minutes north of Beirut, Byblos, or Jbail in Arabic, sits atop 7000 years of history. Along with Damascus, Aleppo and Jericho, Byblos claims to be the longest continuously inhabited settlement in the world. Its archaeological site is the living proof with traces of nearly every passing civilisation or conqueror, including Phoenician, Amorite, Ancient Egyptian, Persian, Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Christian, Moslem, Crusader, Ottoman and even French. It is also the birthplace of the modern alphabet.
While the picturesque archaeological site is its greatest attraction, Byblos itself is a charming resort that has managed to preserve its traditional character better than any other city in Lebanon. The old town consists of stone architecture, red-tiled roofs and arched passageways, all within sight of Roman columns and Byzantine mosaics. Its ancient harbour is perfect for an afternoon stroll and a drink or a meal at one of its outdoor seafood restaurants.
In more recent history, during the glorious 1960's, Byblos was one of the most glamorous resorts in Lebanon. It is known to have received celebrities such as Frank Sinatra, Brigitte Bardot, Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor. Long gone are those days, but finally Byblos is said to be experiencing a resurgence as a destination resort after a period of decline.
Lebanon itinerary in March 2005:
Beirut - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Liban Nord (El Arz - Bcharré) - Tripoli - Mont Liban (Brummana - Beit Meri) - Byblos - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon itinerary in November 2005:
Beirut - Liban Nord - Tripoli - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Mont Liban - Byblos
Lebanon & Syria itinerary in Dec 2009/Jan 2010:
Beirut - Liban Nord - Tripoli - Byblos - Beqaa Valley - Aanjar - Damascus - Baalbek - Mont Liban (Brummana - Beit Meri) - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon itinerary in September 2010:
Beirut - Sidon - Mont Liban (Brummana - Byblos)
Located just south of the archaeological area of Byblos, the recently completed Eddé Sands Hotel & Wellness Resort is... more travel advice
The beautifully restored souk (bazaar) of Byblos is located in the pedestrianised streets around the mediaeval wall,... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Jbail Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Byblos جبيل"
- "Jbail - ancient Byblos"
- "Byblos: Marlon, Frank and Bridgitte were here"
- "Jbail - Byblos"
- "Byblos (Jbail) A town with old glamour"
- "Jbail in January"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jbail
- Hotels in Jbail
- Transportation in Jbail
- Restaurants in Jbail
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jbail
- 27 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Jbail?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jbail
Photos in JbailSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues