Sidon Off The Beaten Path Tips by MM212 Top 5 Page for this destination
Sidon Off The Beaten Path: 7 reviews and 13 photos
The Throne of Astarte (March 05)
About 3km north of Sidon, on the banks of a river called Nahr el-Awali, lie the ruins of the the Temple of Echmoun. It was dedicated to the Phoenician god of medicine and healing, the most revered in Sidon at the time and one that was later equated with the Graeco-Roman god Asclepius. According to Phoenician mythology, the goddess Astarte turned Echmoun into a god after he killed himself to escape her love. Her throne, carved in the 3rd century BC, is still standing in the temple, framed by two lion statues (see photos). The temple was an imporant pilgrimage site for over a millennium, from its construction in the 7th century BC until the early Byzantine period. Pilgrims brought offerings to ask Echmoun to heal them and bathed in waters from a nearby spring known for its healing qualities. During the Graeco-Roman period, a colonnade and a nymphaeum were constructed, the remains of which can still be seen. In the early Byzantine period, Christians continued to visit the site for its healing reputation, so a church was built, but only its exquisite mosaics have survived to this day. This is one of the few sites in Lebanon where significant Phoenician-period structures have survived intact, despite reconstruction in the Graeco-Roman and Byzantine periods. Note that this temple is on the tentative list of UNESCO awaiting its addition to the list of World Heritage Sites.
More Reviews (23)
MM212's Related Pages
Sidon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historically calorific..."
- "Sidon صيدا"
- "Saidoon the Phoenician"
- "About Sidon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidon
- Transportation in Sidon
- Nightlife in Sidon
- Restaurants in Sidon
- Shopping in Sidon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sidon
- 24 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Sidon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidon
Photos in SidonSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues