"Sidon صيدا" Top 5 Page for this destination Sidon by MM212
Sidon Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 338 photos
Lebanon's third largest city, Sidon or Sa´da in Arabic, is a port city located just over half an hour's drive south of Beirut. The coastal city was one of antiquity's greatest Phoenician cities, whose history goes back at least 6000 years. Due to repeated destruction by earthquakes, tsunamis and invasions, little of this great ancient city has remained, with the exception of recycled stones and Roman columns. Nevertheless, Sidon boasts a well-preserved mediaeval old city that is guaranteed to charm any visitor with its stone architecture, arched passages, mosques, churches, khans and souks. The city's symbol and foremost monument is the Crusader Sea Castle, which is located on a small island offshore on the site of the Roman Temple of Melkart/Hercules.
Lebanon itinerary in March 2005:
Beirut - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Liban Nord (northern Lebanon) - El Arz - Tripoli - Mont Liban - Byblos - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon & Syria itinerary in Dec 2009/Jan 2010:
Beirut - Liban Nord - Tripoli - Byblos - Beqaa Valley - Aanjar - Damascus - Baalbek - Mont Liban - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon itinerary in September 2010:
Beirut - Sidon - Mont Liban (Brummana - Byblos)
Part of al-Qualaa Hotel, Noor's restaurant has the best views of the Sea Castle of Sidon. It is located on the terrace... more travel advice
This stunning grand mosque is the newest addition to the numerous mosques in the city of Sa´da. It was recently built by... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Sidon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historically calorific..."
- "Sidon صيدا"
- "Saidoon the Phoenician"
- "About Sidon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidon
- Transportation in Sidon
- Nightlife in Sidon
- Restaurants in Sidon
- Shopping in Sidon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sidon
- 24 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Sidon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidon
Photos in SidonSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 172 reviews, 626 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 145 reviews, 525 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 497 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 104 reviews, 396 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 96 reviews, 340 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues