"Tripoli طرابلس" Top 5 Page for this destination Tripoli by MM212
Tripoli Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 393 photos
Tripoli, Tarablous in Arabic, represents yet another aspect of Lebanon's multi-layered heritage. It is an authentic Middle Eastern city with an intriguing souk (bazaar) and a fascinating old city boasting numerous examples Mamluke-period architecture. Towering above the old town is the Castle of Raymond de Saint Gilles, one of many remaining reminders of the city's Crusader past. Although the city's history dates back to at least 1400 BC, little of the ancient city remains, with the exception of a few Roman-period Corinthian columns hidden within its mediaeval architecture. Despite its pronounced Middle Eastern character, the city's modern name is attributable to the Ancient Greeks who called it Tripolis, "Three Cities", for the three colonies established here by traders from Sidon, Tyre and Aradus. Destroyed repeatedly by earthquakes and invasions, Tripoli has a tortured history as it passed hands from one empire to the next, and as in the rest of Lebanon, recent memory has also been tumultuous. During each of my three visits to Tripoli, I have found myself mesmerised by Old Tripoli's labyrinthine alleys that carry the scents of perfumed soap, aromatic spices, fresh produce, and baked bread.
Lebanon itinerary in March 2005:
Beirut - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Liban Nord (northern Lebanon) - El Arz - Tripoli - Mont Liban - Byblos - Tyre - Sidon
Lebanon itinerary in November 2005:
Beirut - Liban Nord (northern Lebanon) - Tripoli - Beqaa Valley - Baalbek - Aanjar - Mont Liban - Byblos
Lebanon & Syria itinerary in Dec 2009/Jan 2010:
Beirut - Liban Nord - Tripoli - Byblos - Beqaa Valley - Aanjar - Damascus - Baalbek - Mont Liban - Tyre - Sidon
Rue Tell, the major thoroughfare that passes by the Ottoman Clock Tower, has numerous small local eateries that sell... more travel advice
A tiny mosque, Tahhan was built over a set of shops in the souk of Tripoli. The mosque dates from either the late... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Tripoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "three cities in one"
- "Tripoli طرابلس"
- "Trablous - Tripoli"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tripoli
- Hotels in Tripoli
- Transportation in Tripoli
- Nightlife in Tripoli
- Restaurants in Tripoli
- Shopping in Tripoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tripoli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tripoli
- 24 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Tripoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tripoli
Photos in TripoliSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 103 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues