"Jerash - Gerasa" Jarash by MM212
Jarash Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 636 photos
Known as Gerasa in the Classical period, Jerash is Jordan's second most famous archaeological site. Although the area had been inhabited for several millennia, the city's prosperous age began in the Hellenistic period and continued well into the Roman, Byzantine, and early Islamic eras. It was officially founded in the 4th or 3rd century BC and named Antioch-ad-Chrysorhoas (Antioch on the Golden River), but its Semitic name, Garshu, is what it remained known by, albeit corrupted as Gerasa (and later Jerash). That its Semitic name triumphed is no surprise given that its culture was persistently Eastern, particularly Nabataean, despite the Roman architectural style it adopted.
In the 1st century BC, Gerasa was part of the Decapolis, the group of autonomous cities extending from Philadelphia (Amman) to Damascus, but soon afterwards it became part of the Roman Empire. With the construction of new trades routes around Gerasa, the city saw its golden age, which left us with many of the monuments we see today. Although the city's decline began with the Christianisation of the Roman Empire, it remained relatively prosperous during the Byzantine era (as evidenced by the countless unearthed churches) and also briefly under the Omayyads. The destructive earthquake of 749 AD ruined the city and it never recovered. Jerash was revived in the 19th century when Circassian immigrants decided to make it their home. The modern town of Jerash was constructed over the residential quarters of ancient Gerasa, but luckily, the centre, with its magnificent temples, theatres and roads, was excavated and reconstructed by archaeologists.
The majestic Corinthian columns of the pronaos (front portico) of the Cella of the Temple of Artemis are the iconic... more travel advice
Most visitors to Jerash stick to the archaeological site and completely ignore the modern town on the other side of the... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Jarash Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful Roman town in Jordan"
- "Don't miss this!"
- "Gerasa, an antic city"
- "Jerash, The Ancient Roman City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jarash
- Hotels in Jarash
- Transportation in Jarash
- Restaurants in Jarash
- Warnings and Dangers in Jarash
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jarash
- 43 Reviews
- 239 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Jarash?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jarash
Photos in JarashSee All Photos (239)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues